Will Phones with a physical number pad or keyboard still be made for many more years?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think there would still be landline phones with number pads which will still be made until people stop using landline phones.

There are still Blackberry Android smartphones with keyboards being made, and there are still buyers who buy Blackberry Android smartphones with keyboards.

South Korea, Japan, and other countries have smartphones with a number pad, and keyboard designed for users who prefer physical keys. I think there would still be smartphones with physical keys being made in many years from now.

Most Gaming Smartphones may have a physical keyboard, built-in controllers, and number pad because gamers rather use buttons instead of touchscreen buttons on a touchscreen because the touchscreen buttons are less accurate, and block the screen's video.

Some people choose to use regular non-smartphone cell phones which has a number pad and basic buttons like arrow buttons, call, hang up, and redial. I read an article that regular cell phones are making a comeback because of privacy concerns of smartphones and smartphone and internet addiction problems.

Probably, I think you will always get the smaller manufacturers who create phones for other audiences, and the older generations are likely to want phones with keyboards so they are easier to use for them.

Probably, I think you will always get the smaller manufacturers who create phones for other audiences, and the older generations are likely to want phones with keyboards so they are easier to use for them.

I agree there would be smaller manufacturers like Blackberry who make phones for people who want a number pad or keyboard.

There are a lot of people who are getting hand injuries like Carpel tunnel syndrome or hand and finger pains.

Phones with keyboards maybe a better option because the keyboard can be made from soft flexible plastic like some calculator buttons instead of hard glass like a touchscreen keyboard. It is also possible to design keyboards where you can very softly press on the keys to press it, so people don't need to use as much muscle strength to press on a key.

I assume there will be versions that won't have it but you can always get versions that do have it.

Mobile ISPs like SoftBank/Y!Mobile, au, and NTT docomo still release new flip phones in the current year, which all feature a number pad.
They happily co-exist with smartphones that feature only a touch screen.

One example:

I assume there will be versions that won't have it but you can always get versions that do have it.

I think there would be official smartphone keyboard cases from companies like Samsung, so phone makers can make more money by selling an official smartphone case with a keyboard for a high price like $50 like how some Windows tablets don't come with the keyboard cover/case, and you need to pay a high price like $99 for the tablet keyboard case.

Probably not.

Now we get smartphones with touch screen for far cheaper prices and not to mention that everyone likes them, instead of the old fashioned number pad ones. For me, I love flipphones. I hope the companies would make them for years to come.

I have vkworld t2 but.....it's not what I expected.

Yes, I think so because most people still use this since it easy to use. The good thing about this is you can text without looking on your phone. I prefer to use this, especially for work purposes.

The on-screen keyboard sometimes block half of a live video stream when typing a message on an on-screen video which can be kind of annoying, so I think phones with keyboards can be popular with people who like typing a lot of messages in a chat room for a live video stream.

Mobile physical keyboards can be useful for playing word and number games like crossword puzzles, word searches, hang man and Sudoku where you want to see the whole screen, and use a physical keyboard because they don't want to use an onscreen controls and keyboard which can block half of the game screen.

I think they will continue to made this product just for blind and does't speak. It will helpful for them.

I think they will continue to made this product just for blind and does't speak. It will helpful for them.

This is true people with disability may still prefer to use a phone with a keyboard or number touch pad because they can't see, their hand shakes a lot, or they find the button feedback useful.

This is true people with disability may still prefer to use a phone with a keyboard or number touch pad because they can't see, their hand shakes a lot, or they find the button feedback useful.
Yeah, that's right. Technology maker should consider these people. They needed it most. It's really hard to use the touch screen phones for blind person, specially if they are not native English speaker, Siri or any virtual assistant can't recognize the way they pronounce the words.

I'm one of those people who still uses a Blackberry (Q10) and for some reason I always get comments about it. It's efficient and works just fine as a mobile phone! I can use the browser on it for quick research if needed. I'd rather keep communication (work, friends) and entertainment (games, music, etc) separated for the sake of ease. For apps and music, I use an iPod Touch 6th Generation, which is perfect and could be a used as a phone if I choose to. I think it's just easier to make calls and text with the option to use a physical keyboard. I certainly hope they continue making phones like that and not all touch screen only.

I'm one of those people who still uses a Blackberry (Q10) and for some reason I always get comments about it. It's efficient and works just fine as a mobile phone! I can use the browser on it for quick research if needed. I'd rather keep communication (work, friends) and entertainment (games, music, etc) separated for the sake of ease. For apps and music, I use an iPod Touch 6th Generation, which is perfect and could be a used as a phone if I choose to. I think it's just easier to make calls and text with the option to use a physical keyboard. I certainly hope they continue making phones like that and not all touch screen only.

I read online that Blackberry still have a lot of users in some countries like Indonesia because of the popularity of BBM, and other text chat messaging apps. I think a physical keyboard can make it easier to type some languages which has many long words and sentences rather than US English where most people type short words like "ok, sad, fine, he, she, lol, etc" in chat apps.

Newer Blackberry OS can run apps from the Amazon App store which has enough apps and games for many users. Newer Blackberry phones like the Priv, and KeyOne can install Android apps from Google Play because newer Blackberry phones have Android as its OS.

People who mainly us their phone for phone calls, and short text, and does not like to charge or always forget to charge their phone's battery may like phones with number pads. Cell Phones like flip phones and old Nokia bar style phones use smaller screens which use less battery power because basic phones don't need to display an onscreen keyboard, 3D games and apps like social networks on a touchscreen which uses a lot of power.

Using a physical keyboard maybe faster than an onscreen touchscreen keyboard app which can use more RAM, CPU and video chip resources if the on-screen keyboard app has a lot of fancy graphics, and features like spell check, word prediction, and swipe typing.

Which is also good on emergency kit for floods, storm, blackout.

This is true. I think most flip cell phones can be fully charged with battery powered chargers which uses two AA batteries or a hand crank electric generator to charge a cell phone's battery, and you don't need a large USB battery pack to fully charge a phone like a smartphone.

Extra batteries for flip phones are also affordable, and easier to replace.

Back