Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Microsoft plans on releasing a large update come on April 30th that will change up your W10 OS.

In updates like these, always be sure to backup or image your windows partition before the update hits, just in case something bad happens and makes your system dead or data is lost.

This would be a good time to check if your antivirus is fully compatible with Windows 10 before upgrading Windows 10. Some antivirus programs can cause problems with Windows update, or causes Windows to have problems after updating to Windows.

Using the built-in Windows Defender Antivirus program for Windows 10 maybe a good idea until Windows 10 is fully updated to the latest version, and you find a good antivirus which won't crash or freeze Windows 10 can be a good idea.

Well I got most of my drivers etc ready - I am gonna do a clean install of windows 10 :)

A clean install of Windows 10 would be good for people who install Windows 10 on a 32 GB storage drive found on cheap laptops like the HP Stream and Acer Cloudbook. Sometimes, Windows 10 updates and upgrades can't download and install because there is very little free space left over on 32GB drives after the users install a few big programs on a 32GB SSD.

I think we might have talked about this, but what do you feel is a good AV software?

seems kind of extreme, why a clean install?
One that works, one that doesn't turn your PC into a lagfest, one that doesn't exclude any government-powered malware.
But common sense is really the best anti virus.

Because I been playing around with different software etc and it time for a fresh start.

I can see that, throwing all that stuff/removing it does bog down the software which even CCcleaner won't help.

One that works, one that doesn't turn your PC into a lagfest, one that doesn't exclude any government-powered malware.
But common sense is really the best anti virus.

I'd say more research than common sense, if you look at reviews most sites say different things.

I'd say more research than common sense, if you look at reviews most sites say different things.
This is why research doesn't help here.
Additionally, you can't know beforehand whether clicking that random short URL you see on SNS is a good idea or not, unless you know how to re-extend it again before clicking.
On the other hand, common sense doesn't help with people unaware of technology, no need to provide an example on this one, since the example of the research one fits the common sense one perfectly too.

So you see that both aren't fully reliable, except that if you have common sense, then at least you're able to avoid trouble.

ISP's DNS servers and routers are sometimes get infected by viruses, so typing in a website domain will direct users to a fake website with virus infected and spam sites, so common sense and research does not always work.

ISP's DNS servers and routers are sometimes get infected by viruses, so typing in a website domain will direct users to a fake website with virus infected and spam sites, so common sense and research does not always work.
I have yet to see this happen, though I won't say you're wrong.
In fact, what you said is actually perfectly possible, it's just that I've never seen this by myself before, never heard of any victims of that, etc.

Mostly because DNS servers take time to sync up, so by the time any harm will be done, ISPs have long noticed that and fixed it (unless of course they were plotting a red flag attack on their own customers).

I have yet to see this happen, though I won't say you're wrong.
In fact, what you said is actually perfectly possible, it's just that I've never seen this by myself before, never heard of any victims of that, etc.

Mostly because DNS servers take time to sync up, so by the time any harm will be done, ISPs have long noticed that and fixed it (unless of course they were plotting a red flag attack on their own customers).

I think DNS poisoning occur more often on some Internet Service Provider DNS.

DNS servers, modems, and routers of ISPs in Brazil got poisoned, and users got redirected to virus infected files and websites according to Massive DNS poisoning attacks in Brazil

DNS poisoning is less common with third-party DNS providers like OpenDNS, Comodo DNS, IBM DNS and Cloudfare DNS who have a decent network security team with highly trained workers who regularly install security updates, and check for security problems.

There is always a chance that prankster ISP workers decided to redirect web users who want to go to a certain website get redirected to a strange websites like a humor and meme website, or a cryptocurrency mining website to earn money from mining cryptocurrency with user's CPU cycles.

This is why research doesn't help here.
Additionally, you can't know beforehand whether clicking that random short URL you see on SNS is a good idea or not, unless you know how to re-extend it again before clicking.
On the other hand, common sense doesn't help with people unaware of technology, no need to provide an example on this one, since the example of the research one fits the common sense one perfectly too.

So you see that both aren't fully reliable, except that if you have common sense, then at least you're able to avoid trouble.

I guarantee you a large amount of people lack even a sliver of common sense.

Well I went to 1803 Update and at some point I will be heading back to 1709. Reasons is that there are too many issues sadly.

Back