Work in retail?

Unfortunately here in the states a lot of people rely on fast food for their livelihood. Jobs that were normally designed to give students and young adult the experience they need is now also being staffed by moms and dads as well as single and married adults who need to pay for food, gas, rent/mortgage etc.

Retail industry would be a last resort option for me. Even then it would probably be for a company that values their employees and their family time. Costco is one company for instance I imagine I wouldn't mind working for if I had to work in retail.

We don't have a Costco here where I live unfortunately. We have a Sam's Club instead. Sam's is owned by the Walton's......so it's the Wal-Mart version of Costco.

I know Walmart got some serious backlash years ago supposedly they're trying to turn things around and treat their employees better. I don't have any insight around that world though. I remember after high school I applied at a Walmart and they never called me in for an interview. Thank goodness, as my life may have been taken in a whole different direction.

I know Walmart got some serious backlash years ago supposedly they're trying to turn things around and treat their employees better. I don't have any insight around that world though. I remember after high school I applied at a Walmart and they never called me in for an interview. Thank goodness, as my life may have been taken in a whole different direction.

sounds like you dodged a bullet.

Yes! I'm quite thankful. I'm pretty sure I didn't get a call back because I answered the online application honestly.

Not if they don't like the answers. Do you think it's ok to take home ball point pens that don't belong to you? Yes, yes I do. lol

Be thankful you don't work for Wal-Mart. Working in retail is the pits, especially around the Christmas holiday.

Funnily enough, my job isn't bad or overly demanding. Simply put, I work for a family business and they really know their stuff. The store is mostly food and groceries and it's relatively small. There were days when I was the only stocker working but since more people have come into work it's way nicer. Also, the hours are fair, only being open 7 am to 9 pm and less on Sundays. I have some variety though mainly because I work 60% of the store from dairy to frozen and odds and ends.

Funnily enough, my job isn't bad or overly demanding. Simply put, I work for a family business and they really know their stuff. The store is mostly food and groceries and it's relatively small. There were days when I was the only stocker working but since more people have come into work it's way nicer. Also, the hours are fair, only being open 7 am to 9 pm and less on Sundays. I have some variety though mainly because I work 60% of the store from dairy to frozen and odds and ends.
Hey that's key when it comes to any occupation - find the bits that you appreciate. Good mind set is everything.

I would have loved doing retail in a mom and pop store where I had power and backing.

Back