Would Online Streaming Games cause some people to buy smartphones with less storage space like 16GB?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling

Streaming games don't require a lot of storage space like many GBs of space. The game streaming app maybe as small as a few MBs in size. Some people with a very fast and unlimited bandwidth internet/data connection may use a smartphone with 16GB or less space to play streaming games which are streamed from an internet server hosted at Google, Sony, or Microsoft.

There maybe fewer mobile gamers who buy smartphones with more storage space if Game streaming to phones become more reliable, and fast.

The idea's great but it all comes down to cost in the end. Will it be affordable? And will it be similar to paying for a brand new game? I would much rather pay one price and keep the game forever rather than having to pay a subscription price.

The idea's great but it all comes down to cost in the end. Will it be affordable? And will it be similar to paying for a brand new game? I would much rather pay one price and keep the game forever rather than having to pay a subscription price.

There is a possibility for Google Stadia to be affordable like YouTube Red, and Google Play where buyers can rent and buy movies, TV shows, and games for a few dollars.

I feel Google should give users the option for game buyers to purchase the game, so users can download the game installer file to install them on a compatible PC for offline gameplay. Google has enough space on their web servers to host millions of game installer files for people to download to install on their PC.

True. And even then, I don't think it would have a huge impact on smartphone sales. People will still want high-end phones and most of them come with a good amount of storage now. Even cheaper phones are starting to offer good amounts of space.

True. And even then, I don't think it would have a huge impact on smartphone sales. People will still want high-end phones and most of them come with a good amount of storage now. Even cheaper phones are starting to offer good amounts of space.

Google Stadia may cause people to keep their phones with 4GB of RAM, 32GB storage, and a 1080P screen longer than their previous phones.

Even then, it will be with a small majority of people. I'm not sure how many people consider gaming as a huge factor when choosing phones. So maybe a few people will change how long they keep their phone but it won't be a large number

Well, it might happen.
Usually people don't go for 16 GB as it's not much but if everything is getting streamed and the connectivity is very good, then there is no point in going for a high end phone.

Bad thing is that it eats up your data that way.

I feel most people will still use Wi-fi to play streaming games since most home ISP now have wifi routers built-into their Cable, DSL and Fiber internet modems. A lot of home cable and fiber internet ISP have unlimited bandwidth if you pay more for an unlimited plan.

But, there would be some people who may end up paying a lot of money for an unlimited bandwidth data plan for their smartphone, or paying a lot of money in overage fees because they forgot their smartphone dataplan has a low bandwidth limit which is used up when they stream games.

Back