Would you accept the offer?

lb

愛してるザラ
Full GL Member
Credits
Microsoft offers you a well-paid job as an elite game tester for the Xbox One, but there are conditions: you're not allowed to own any other console, computer or smartphone besides Xbox One, Windows PC and Windows Phone, or to use any other non-Microsoft produced devices.

You work 8 hours a day and the salary is pretty good, allowing you to live a comfortable life. The contract is for 10 years and you are not allowed to quit during this period of time, or you will have to give back all the payments you received.

Would you accept the offer?

Nah. I'd much rather work in a different field and be able to enjoy a range of games. I couldn't miss out on some of Playstation games for example, and I'd like to be able to have a choice in technology I use.

Yep, but I would still get other consoles and such and not be one of these idiots who would publicly post about breaking work's rules. Because how would they know?

This doesn't sound like a good deal.

I think there is also a possibility of making less money by limiting myself to only using Microsoft products, and playing only Microsoft games if I ever plan on seriously making money with video games.

I bet, a lot of the big YouTube and Twitch streamers like PewDiePie, iJustine, and bigger Machinama YouTube partners would be less popular, and earn less money from ads, special events like showing up for E3 as a reporter/host, and selling their own products like T-shirts, books, apps, baseball caps, etc if they just stuck to Microsoft games, and products, and ignore PS4, Wii U, and PC games which people wanted to watch them play.

This deal can even mess up a person's future if they want to change jobs which need non-Microsoft tech skills since a lot of non-Microsoft tech related jobs require staff know how to use Linux command lines, Apple Mac repair, networking and troubleshooting. Some smaller work places exclusively use Ubuntu Linux because it is free, so they save money, so not knowing how to use and maintain Ubuntu can cause you to be less employable. If you want to switch jobs and become a video editor or graphic designer, you may need to know how to use a Mac PC if the work place is Mac-only, and does not have Windows PC for video editing, and graphic designing.

It would be awesome if the contract wouldnt be for 10 years i mean i could be a millionaire in 10 years only by the means of carrer development and no matter how much yo love somehing being stuck in one place is not for most people

This doesn't sound like a good deal.

I think there is also a possibility of making less money by limiting myself to only using Microsoft products, and playing only Microsoft games if I ever plan on seriously making money with video games.

I bet, a lot of the big YouTube and Twitch streamers like PewDiePie, iJustine, and bigger Machinama YouTube partners would be less popular, and earn less money from ads, special events like showing up for E3 as a reporter/host, and selling their own products like T-shirts, books, apps, baseball caps, etc if they just stuck to Microsoft games, and products, and ignore PS4, Wii U, and PC games which people wanted to watch them play.
You could still play PC games provided you used a Windows PC. The conditions only prohibit you from using devices made by other companies, such as iMacs, Macbooks, Chromebooks etc.

You could play multi-platform games on your Windows PC or Xbox One.

I'd have no problem doing that. Being a game tester, and having a comfortable life while doing it, seems like a good deal. I don't really care too much about missing exclusives on consoles, I'd just go back to playing mostly on PC and maybe some on the Xbox 1. I would miss Android phones, but I'd get use to the Windows Phone.

LOL, funny rules but could be possible... I will still accept though since it a decent job and I needed it. I'll do my part better each day and enjoy/ have fun with it so that I'll forge to leave the job until 10yrs finished. Who knows I'll extend for more :)

Well. 10 years is a lot of time. Without that condition I would jump straight into accepting the job. Some kind of an ability to time travel into the future would be nice, but unfortunately we don't have that.
I don't really mind the other criteria that much, because I am not the kind of console-guy, I prefer a Computer anyway and also I don't care that much about my phone... as long as it is working fine.
Probably I would gamble in this scenario and accept the job, with the hopes that no big unexpected changes would happen to the industry.

No chance. I love my PS4 and I have dedicated so much time to some of the games on there. I don't care how much Halo you offer me, I'm not doing it. As much as I love Microsoft, I just got too attached to the PS4 system and it would be hard to abandon that.

As long as I can use Steam and other game launchers, I think I could take the offer. On a second thought, Windows Phones are atrocious...

Define a well-paid job. I mean, my field (CS) generally offers pretty good payment, but if I could work for 10 years (with these conditions) and secure myself financially for the rest of my life, I would most certainly accept.

Well. Perhaps They will probably will not have issues If I use emulation on my PC. And If I play games in competition platforms offline within the privacy of my own home, how they would know?. And they have to be my internet provider to find out my bandwidth consumption activity to track whether I play online with competition consoles or not. For purchases, I simply buy my stuff indirectly through a trustworthy third party.

Pretty much you can cover your tracks. In any case, is not their concern how do I spend my leisure time. I can be agreed to not publicly endorse, talk about or record myself playing competition's game for twitch streaming or youtube. But I don't see how much they would care if I enjoy those titles offline.

A lot of companies do something similar to this, not just Microsoft. I see that there is a need to establish some kind of brand loyalty in any corporation, but a 10-year condition can be too difficult for people to accept. Personally, I would consider this kind of offer if the price is right. It all boils down to pay and treatment in the end, for me. If Microsoft is willing to give me a good paycheck, hell, I'd trade everything I own for its Microsoft counterpart if I have to. I'm a sell-out like that :p

I think I would. Windows PC means any game on a Windows PC correct? Then it's essentially what I'm doing now. I don't own an Xbox One, but I did own an Xbox 360. The only consoles I've touched in the past like 5 years were 360, and PC. I think I could go another 10 years with that.

I would seriously consider, and probably end up accepting the offer. I'd be willing to forego other releases for monetary gain, even as a big fan of Sony's exclusives. A well paid game tester is pretty high on the list of younger me's dream job list, and if I was offered any kind of security from the 10 year contract I would definitely take it.

Back