Xbox One Price

I've got to admit, I'm surprised Xbox is sitting with the higher price this time around, especially $100 more. That didn't bode well at first for Sony to be the more expensive console when the PS3 came out. Not to mention Microsoft is getting a TON of bad word of mouth online for all of their DRM internet-checking-in stuff. The more I find out, the more I tend to think this generation is not going to pan out well for Microsoft, but we shall see. I still think it's entirely possibly they'll backpedal on many of the obtrusive aspects of the Xbox One that internet fans are outraged over (and rightfully so, in my opinion) before their launches. Here's hoping!

datubaman1984 said:
Yeah, because I want to pay 500 dollars for a machine that is going to snoop on me and won't let me buy used games.
It's not going to snoop you paranoid fool. And how so will the console not let you buy used games? It will let you buy used games. Difference being you will choose not to buy used games because of their policy. The machine isn't stopping you from buying used games.

GamerPerfection said:
It's not going to snoop you paranoid fool. And how so will the console not let you buy used games? It will let you buy used games. Difference being you will choose not to buy used games because of their policy. The machine isn't stopping you from buying used games.
his reply is one of very many. A result of Ms beating around the bush on this subject.

GP, does have a valid point that Microsoft allows Used games since it is publish on the web at other news websites.

Microsoft Corp. said in a blog post on Thursday that it will not charge a fee to retailers, publishers or gamers for transferring their old games.

Source

For the games Microsoft publishes, Microsoft Studios will allow you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games to used game stores. There are caveats:[1]
Third party publishers, like Activision, Ubisoft and Square-Enix, however, may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this arrangement. Third party publishers also have the choice whether to allow you to give games to friends or not.[2]
Source

There are also rumurs of Microsoft rethinking the Online checking situation for people with unstable internet like Soldiers in the Army fighting in the Middle East, and MS is rethinking the amount of time for online checks.

A rumor suggests that Microsoft is "experimenting with special exemption codes that could be given to select people in very particular, internet-free situations, like active-duty soldiers serving in war zones." Microsoft is also said to still be deciding internally the amount of time between Xbox One's authentication checks. [1]
Source

Everything made in America is always more expensive in Europe. It doesn't really endear me to the U.S. companies.

The reason why the Xbox One is so expensive is because of the Kinect add on. Since Microsoft made the "Wise" choice to make if mandatory with the Xbox one so they have to compensate by making the price $500. Sony on the other hand, made the Playstation Eye and optional add on which gave them more room to lower their margins. Thus, their Playstation system is $100 cheaper. Very poor marketing on Microsofts point and very disappointing in my opinion. Plus PS4 has alot less restrictions than the Xbox One so why would one want to pay more for less access?

These X-BOX prices are getting ridiculous. Especially considering they are now trying to put Windows 8 into the system, and are doing the whole phasing out of used games.

A Windows 8 license is $99 dollars for the retail box Home version, and $199 for the Pro retail version, so the Xbox One using Windows 8 as its operating system will make it more expensive compared to using a free operating system like Linux, Google Android, or FreeBSD. Having Windows 8 as the OS can be an added value for some users since Windows 8 is worth $99-199 when you buy at a computer store.

Plus, the Xbox One comes with Kinect 2.0, so people who are planning to get a Kinect 2.0 anyways, and enjoy motion gaming will find the Xbox One more appealing since there are no controller-free accessories except the Kinect which can detect your feet and hand movement for playing motion party games without any added controller like the PS3 Move, Wiimote, or other controller.

I read the Kinect will not just be for motion and party games, and you can use it for other games like if a character is shooting directly at you, you can move your body to the left or right while you are sitting to avoid being shot at. Plus, The Kinect might be cool for games with Magic  where you can throw your hand to throw a fireball, or lightning at enemies.

There will still be used games for Xbox based on Press releases from MS.

Microsoft Corp. said in a blog post on Thursday that it will not charge a fee to retailers, publishers or gamers for transferring their old games.

For the games Microsoft publishes, Microsoft Studios will allow you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games to used game stores. There are caveats:[1]

Source

froggyboy604 said:
A Windows 8 license is $99 dollars for the retail box Home version, and $199 for the Pro retail version, so the Xbox One using Windows 8 as its operating system will make it more expensive compared to using a free operating system like Linux, Google Android, or FreeBSD. Having Windows 8 as the OS can be an added value for some users since Windows 8 is worth $99-199 when you buy at a computer store.

Plus, the Xbox One comes with Kinect 2.0, so people who are planning to get a Kinect 2.0 anyways, and enjoy motion gaming will find the Xbox One more appealing since there are no controller-free accessories except the Kinect which can detect your feet and hand movement for playing motion party games without any added controller like the PS3 Move, Wiimote, or other controller.
I personally don't consider the Windows 8 license as a bonus. If it came with a license that I could also use on my PC then sure, I'd consider it as an advantage. As it is though, it's something which they're adding, which isn't really costing them much per user (the cost of making Windows 8 work on the XBox one, spread out over millions of users) and I probably won't use since I have a PC. If there was some huge advantage like being able to play high-end PC games via the Windows OS on the XBox one, then I'd understand, but as it is, there isn't.

I'd say that it's true that people who are planning to get a Kinect anyway wouldn't mind - though I think it's too large a markup for just that. Many people wouldn't want a Kinect though, so it's just an extra expense. Ignoring the whole 'Kinect is spying on you' issue which has been overblown, many people just don't play games which include motion.

Using Windows 8 on the Xbox One is most likely better than installing a limited, unstable, or outdated operating system on the One since the One and 8 both benefit from the latest updates, service packs, patches, and optimizations which the Windows staff made for 8.

Although, you can't play Highend PC games or use Desktop programs on the Xbox One. The Xbox One would most have access to the Windows 8 App store which has a lot of Windows 8 Game Apps, Information Apps like Wikipedia, RSS news reader, and other types of apps for using on the TV. There is also a possibility for Xbox One to unlock some of the PC features of Xbox One like a Xbox One version of MS Office which include Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, and Access, so you can work access documents like game walkthroughs from a .Doc word file, make a spreadsheet of your achievements, or item lists for a game you are playing, make a presentation about a game, access your email, and make a Access database file to keep track of your virtual gaming items, and characters for a game.

The Kinect is not just a motion controller. It is also a highend HD webcam, and microphone, so you can use it for Skype, so if you need a PC to video chat with someone it is an added value for people who use Skype, and videochat apps.

The Kinect will also have PC support, so you can use it as a webcam, or motion controller on a PC if you want to according to http://www.develop-online.net/news/44273/Kinect-2-support-coming-to-PC

Wow, that's a much higher price than I had expected. To be honest I would save up a bit more money and buy myself a PC. Each to their own though....

I wonder if Microsoft will someday unlock all or most of PC features of Xbox One to make it a Desktop Windows 8 computer as well as an Xbox One. The Xbox One uses an AMD APU and standard computer parts which are also found on many computers made by HP, Dell, Lenovo, and other PC companies.

I think $499 for Xbox One which is also a Windows 8 computer is a pretty good deal if it is possible to unlock Windows 8 Desktop features like installing .exe Windows program on the One.

Imagine being able to install MS Office 2013, Adobe Photoshop, Premier video editor, and Dreamweaver website builder onto the Xbox One's hard drive, and plugging in a USB keyboard, mouse, scanner, and printer to use Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office, VLC player, Google Chrome, Firefox, and other Windows compatible software on the Xbox One, and also having the Kinect which is also an HD Webcam with noise cancelation for clearer video, and voice chat on Skype, and other video chat apps.

I think if the Xbox One could be converted into a Windows 8 PC by hackers, and modders, it may attract the modder and hobbyist crowd since $499 for a PC with a multi-core APU, 8GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive, and Kinect is a good price for a PC which is also a console.

The Kinect  attracted many hobbyists, modders and robotic scientists who needed a inexpensive motion tracking device for their home robotic projects, and for using the Kinect as an inexpensive hands-free motion tracking device for robots made by robot scientist at universities, and companies.

Just can't believe Sony was able to slip by Microsoft and release a cheaper console. Sony's biggest downfall with the PS3 was the insane and downright arrogant launch price and now they somehow manage to undercut the Xbone by $100... I think this means they'll be selling it at negative profit at first but with the PS+ and all the games and what not I think the sheer number of consoles sold due to the lower price of the PS4 will more than make up for it.

I guess the Kinect vamped up the price of the One?

After the reveal of the PS4 price, I think Microsoft is SERIOUSLY debating a price drop within the first 6 months of this console's life. Does anyone not remember the famous Sony conference from 1994? When the Saturn launched for $399, the Sony rep. walked onto the stage and said those four syllables that made the crowd go wild. "$299". That effectively killed the Saturn before it even had a chance. I hope this sort of happens to Microsoft, as the draconian policies they are pushing on consumers is completely backwards of where we should be at this point. 

Microsoft will have to drop the price, otherwise they will probably sell very few glorified cable boxes, oops I mean consoles  :happy:
I feel 300 would be a good price for it, that's what I was expecting and I was actually expecting the PS4 to be around 500! As you can imagine I was pleasantly suprised!  :cool:

It's ridiculous that it costs more AND has all those anti-consumer "features". It's like Microsoft are committing suicide, at least when it comes to gamers. "Casuals" that know nothing might still end up buying the awful box, but it seems like gamers mostly agree the Xbone can just suck it.

I feel like this is way too much money for a console, this is the main reason why I think I'll be buying a gaming PC and going PC gaming. I might change my mind but I have no clue.

Back