Your country manga

Crayon Shin Chan is far from mature, so it's a comic.
At least, if I go through your logic.

Edit: same goes for Super Mario Kun.
Hmm... Yeah. Wait super Mario kun? Was it originated from Japan? Like seriously?
Wow.
Well, I do consider them as something less than anime in my mind.. Though it's not totally true. Anime is really great... According to me... So...

Hmm... Yeah. Wait super Mario kun? Was it originated from Japan? Like seriously?
Wow.
Well, I do consider them as something less than anime in my mind.. Though it's not totally true. Anime is really great... According to me... So...
To tell Clara more, Super Mario Kun is one of the many comics features in Coro Coro every month for 28 years now.

To tell Clara more, Super Mario Kun is one of the many comics features in Coro Coro every month for 28 years now.
Wow....thats really something. I know that I don't know much much stuff...but this seriously makes me doubt about being an anime fan. .....thank you suwako chan.

Hmm...but even so...for me comics are batman, superman and other western stuff. They are not very, mature, if I should say so.
For me, manga are mature and comics....are for kids to be honest.

There's plenty of manga that's far from mature, and comics that are a lot more mature than you think. People also forget that the vast majority of anime is targeted at kids, just look at the shounen demographic and the age group it encompasses. The misnomer that anime is for adults and cartoons are for kids is created by people trying to make their hobby more sophisticated than it really is.

Avatar the last airbender would disagree with this.

Avatar isn't anime because it's not a Japanese cartoon. Anime is really just an arbitrary label outside of Japan for the sole purpose of marketing. The reason why certain arbitrary labels feel like genres is that there are times where certain genres/tropes/styles are relegated to a specific label, but when you take out the sole defining reason something is categorized as X label, then it really shows the arbitrary nature of it.

The biggest difference between genres and these labels is whether or not removing the key defining feature has any kind of significant change in the final product. Let's just go with Halo for instance. If you take out anything FPS related, it's no longer an FPS game and will be a completely different game. Now let's look at webcomics, if it gets discontinued from being published as a web format and now only gets published in an actual book, it's no longer a webcomic. The difference between a webcomic and a regular comic is the method of release, but did the story or art change?

Well if it originated in Japan, then it's anime.
I was more looking for what Clara was going to say, considering Devilman is in about the same style of Superman/Spiderman/Batman/etc., except it originates from Japan.

The term "anime" is really an abbreviation of "animation", and abbreviations are extremely popular here.
Like フレリク (frerik) = フレンドリクエスト (friend request), マリカー (Marika) = マリオカート (Mario Kart), スーファミ (Sufami) = スーパーファミコン (Super Famicom) = スーパーファミリコンピュータ (Super Family Computer), and the list is endless.

But as Grungle said later on, the term outside of Japan is more of a marketing thing to separate Japanese animation from the rest (wait, wouldn't that be racist according to the same countries?).
Though here all moving 2D stuff that appear on TV as a form of entertainment is considered "anime", no matter whether it's Death Note or Tom & Jerry.

This is what I was hoping to point out after Clara would respond.
Though if people want to believe otherwise, of course I won't stop them from doing so.

wait, wouldn't that be racist according to the same countries?.

As a Japanese American, I personally don't view it as racist. It's not unusual to have a specific style of art associated with a country/region if it's stylistically different/unique. Like how there's African music, Carribean music, or French Films. You don't see a lot of drastic distinction in the art from the Anglosphere to need these labels to separate which English speaking country it came from, especially when you have certain products that feature people from multiple English speaking countries. The accent in some cases can be an indicator, but since you can train people to take on another accent, nothing changes if you have a British film star an American actor putting on an English accent, just look at Bridget Jones.

As a Japanese American, I personally don't view it as racist. It's not unusual to have a specific style of art associated with a country/region if it's stylistically different/unique. Like how there's African music, Carribean music, or French Films. You don't see a lot of drastic distinction in the art from the Anglosphere to need these labels to separate which English speaking country it came from, especially when you have certain products that feature people from multiple English speaking countries. The accent in some cases can be an indicator, but since you can train people to take on another accent, nothing changes if you have a British film star an American actor putting on an English accent, just look at Bridget Jones.
I was only joking because of the fact that "anime" is so broadly being used to separate Japanese animation from every other animation by exactly the countries that overuse the "racism" card far too much.
I wasn't talking about the style (which I think widely differs within animations of the same countries too), it just comes over as irony to me.

Of course I'm well aware that calling that racism is ridiculous, considering that countries of origin aren't necessarily linked to a race of an individual (look at Brazil, nearly everyone is mixed!), it was all for the irony and nothing else.

I was only joking because of the fact that "anime" is so broadly being used to separate Japanese animation from every other animation by exactly the countries that overuse the "racism" card far too much.
I wasn't talking about the style (which I think widely differs within animations of the same countries too), it just comes over as irony to me.

Of course I'm well aware that calling that racism is ridiculous, considering that countries of origin aren't necessarily linked to a race of an individual (look at Brazil, nearly everyone is mixed!), it was all for the irony and nothing else.

TBH it’s hard to tell at times if it’s a joke when there’s tons of people dead serious about it.

TBH it’s hard to tell at times if it’s a joke when there’s tons of people dead serious about it.
Since you said you're Japanese American, I am aware that Japanese people use "()" or "(嘘)" to mark a sentence as a joke.
Would that make sense if I would do that next time?
It's what I typically do on Discord servers with all Japanese people, since it's normal around here.

(笑) is just a Japanese equivalent to "lol", it doesn't necessarily mean you're only joking around.
I'd rather say it makes the tone of the sentence less serious.

Wow...a Japanese conversation huh.
I don't really meet many people who uses my native language online. I wonder how it feels like, to talk in secret.

Wow...a Japanese conversation huh.
I don't really meet many people who uses my native language online. I wonder how it feels like, to talk in secret.
Not even on your own forum?
Most people there are from your country right?

But I know from a life long experience that it's actually really nice offline too, since you can hold a private "encrypted" conversation in-between huge crowds of people, since only you and the one you're talking to happen to speak the language you're using at that time, while everybody around you doesn't.

Not even on your own forum?
Most people there are from your country right?

But I know from a life long experience that it's actually really nice offline too, since you can hold a private "encrypted" conversation in-between huge crowds of people, since only you and the one you're talking to happen to speak the language you're using at that time, while everybody around you doesn't.
Nope. Just because they are from my country doesn't mean that they know my language. Only star knows Telugu my native language in AMF. Others are from various states and they have other native languages.

I don't want to speak in a language that is not known to everyone. It might make others feel uncomfortable and not to mention that they would feel left out.

I am aware that each state in India has a different language, but I was thinking about Hindi since I thought this was supposed to be the official language for all of India.
But then I forgot the name of that language, looked it up while creating this reply, and saw that India gives no language a national status.

Back