Are gift cards a good gift?

Never tried Gift cards before, but i'd say it's a good idea to save money.

I agree Gift cards can be a good idea to save money since sometimes giftcards go on sale like iTunes, and Amazon sometimes sell giftcards for less than their cash value like buying a $20 giftcard for $15. I also believe you don't need to pay sales tax on gift cards since giftcards are not a physical product or service since Giftcards are store cash credit.

Indeed, if you buy a lot of giftcards for many people, or buy $100+ giftcards, you will be spending a lot of cash. 

Same, I think $10-15 dollars is pretty good since the person can get something like a DVD movie, and I won't be going over my budget.

I got a gift card for Walmart.  That rocks, we love our Super Walmart. :grin:

I've always liked get Wal-Mart gift cards. I'd say its good to give any one a gift card for a special occasion so they can go out and buy what they want.

Now that most gift cards like Amazon and Bestbuy giftcards can be used online, I think giftcards are a lot better gifts since you don't risk getting your credit card or debit card information stolen both online and offline like the recent hacks to Target, Home Depot, and many other popular stores.

I think more people will either use cash, or gift cards these days at stores since they don't want their credit card, and address, name, and other personal info link to their credit card getting stolen by hackers who hacked a store like Target or Home Depot.

Plus, people who are not responsible or poor may not want credit cards since they may spend too much, and end up having to pay back a huge loan which they can't payback because they don't have the money to pay the bank back, so Giftcards are useful for buying stuff online when you don't have a credit card, or don't plan on having one.

Why wouldn't gift cards be a good gift?  There are gift cards to certain stores that I love getting because I know I'm getting to buy something I want.  It takes all of the guess work out of figuring out what to buy someone.  Take me for instance.....I enjoy reading but how would you know which books I read?  If you got me a gift card to a local book store, then you'd know I would be getting a book I like and not getting me something I already have. 

Gift cards are a good gift, and unlike cash it's easier to hold onto since you gotta save it for the right place. Sometimes they can suck a little when it's for a place you don't care for or can't get to. I think I've only run into that issue a couple times. I'm not sure how many other people have it, but we've recently got a converter machine that will exchange the gift card for cash or other gift cards at Safeway. 

I think they are a good option if you really don't know what to give to the other person, it's better than handing money directly and you give the opportunity to this person to buy whatever they want.

Nobody wants to receive gift cards. It's too limited of an option, and you have to do research on what you want on that particular card's scope. I just give money. Nothing says "I don't care enough to get you anything memorable" than giving someone an envelope of money at an event. Let them think of ways to spend it. Or let them invest it to the bank. Nobody can refuse it though because well, it's free money.

Nobody wants to receive gift cards. It's too limited of an option, and you have to do research on what you want on that particular card's scope. I just give money. Nothing says "I don't care enough to get you anything memorable" than giving someone an envelope of money at an event. Let them think of ways to spend it. Or let them invest it to the bank. Nobody can refuse it though because well, it's free money.
Here in Australia there are some places where you can use a gift card at more than one place. So having a gift card is not always that bad.

Back