Google Stadia?

rumovell

Credits
speaking from someone who grew up alongside PC gaming and Playstation, why does Google Stadia get so much flak? i dont understand. for one who dreams about the future of gaming, its a freaking heaven! there may be a lot of missing points here and there, but I'd like to treat the early release trailer as a teaser.

payment scheme wasn't even discussed yet, only that cloud based gaming is possible. i really do think Google is onto something powerful

i know, it hurts to think that this technology Google presented relies heavily on the speed of connection, but I think a big fraction of gamers around the world nowadays can afford such speed, and i personally think that streaming is the future of convenience

music - spotify
movies/series - netflix
videos - youtube

am I really the only one hyped with this?

I have not heard of this. It's a game streaming service from Google?

Not surprised. It's a cloud gaming service powered by Google that allows players to play triple-A games on browser (chrome), TV (chromecast), mobile phones, tablet, anywhere.

it seems to be a powerhouse for gamers, i think, based on the reveal. with integrated AI voice assistant as well, and can also serve as a streaming platform for streamers because there's literally a button on their custom controller that will allow you to stream through (you guessed it) YouTube, and other platforms I believe?

however, I think the only downside is you should have at least 25 mbps according to google

my theory is that google only says its a minimum of 25 mbps, since all the data will be processed in their data center itself (not really technical from me, I know)

here's a vid if you havent watched the reveal yet

I think Google Stadia is not liked by some gamers because people are afraid that Google may shutdown Stadia in many years, and you lose access to all your game.

I think Google Stadia is not liked by some gamers because people are afraid that Google may shutdown Stadia in many years, and you lose access to all your game.

That's definitely one of the concerns people have, since cloud gaming itself does mean you don't own a copy of the game itself and Google does have a reputation for doing such things when its apps don't go as well as planned. But I'm not personally concerned. People are criticising it now, sure, but if the price is right or there's an introductory offer on Stadia then I reckon they'll be all over it.

As for the speed of connection, that will probably be an issue in some places but again, most of America and other developed nations these days can get speeds that high or better, so it's probably not too extreme. And I'd bet that wifi companies would work harder to up connection speeds if Stadia went really well. Well, maybe anyway.

speaking from someone who grew up alongside PC gaming and Playstation, why does Google Stadia get so much flak? i dont understand. for one who dreams about the future of gaming, its a freaking heaven! there may be a lot of missing points here and there, but I'd like to treat the early release trailer as a teaser.

payment scheme wasn't even discussed yet, only that cloud based gaming is possible. i really do think Google is onto something powerful

i know, it hurts to think that this technology Google presented relies heavily on the speed of connection, but I think a big fraction of gamers around the world nowadays can afford such speed, and i personally think that streaming is the future of convenience

music - spotify
movies/series - netflix
videos - youtube

am I really the only one hyped with this?

because its a great concept, way ahead of its time. Once the internet is as fluid as other utilities like electricity and water, then it will be a hit.

I think Google Stadia would be a useful way to advertise offline games where gamers can test out a demo of a game by clicking on a link on a game ad on a website to launch the online version of the game before they choose if they want to buy it at a physical or online store.

I am actually looking forward to Google Stadia, like it's proper more advanced than other platform and it's probably going to face a few issues at first like any platform but I am sure as times goes on it will get better!

Nah not really. :grin: I did buy the disc version of Destiny for the PS3, only because it was much cheaper. hehe

It is nice that you got Destiny for a cheap price.

I feel one of the advantages of Physical games is that physical games are sometimes cheaper than digital if the store has too many copy of the games which they want to quickly sell for a lower price because they need the store space for newer games, and to attract people into their store to buy more expensive newer games and other stuff like TVs at a store like Best Buy.

Perhaps. But fewer and fewer stores are even selling physical copies of games....

Perhaps. But fewer and fewer stores are even selling physical copies of games....

This is true, there seems to be less games at stores these days, and fewer games stores.

I feel someday many games maybe streaming-only games because the streaming game makers won't need to spend as much time making many versions of the same games work on many consoles, mobile devices, and PCs with different types of Processors/CPU, video cards, RAM amounts, and storage drives sizes.

Yes agreed. Or download only. But drives on consoles will need to get much bigger.

There are a lot of reasons why people might not be enthused about Stadia.

Right from the get go the obvious issue of if they close the program you lose the games you paid money to play. They aren't under any contract where the service is good/available for like 3 years then they can re-evaluate and make changes. If in month 3 they realise it's not sustainable or whatever the case may be they can shut down right then.
It is all too easy to get screwed over. They don't owe you anything and you don't own anything so you can't even really sue them.

It also gives the companies way too much control. With physical media once you buy a game they can't really take it from you. But with any thing like Stadia or even Steam... this is no longer the case. They can pull games from the library at any time, for any reason and don't have to compensate those affected.

This also relies on the internet to be functioning to work. The internet in many places is fairly stable. But it's not perfect and outages happen. Granted if the net goes down you can't play any online multiplayer games either, but if you have offline games then you can still play those without issue. (As long as they aren't digital and thus need to validated every X period before they'll let you play... which is another gripe.) Even if the internet isn't down, if there are connection issues or lag spikes it can make paying the games unbearable.

Personally, because google owns adsense and analytics I'd be worried they're going to be monetizing this program too. They'll be collecting data and selling it to other advertisers. I wouldn't be surprised if they started putting ads in games (either in the loader, on loading screens or environments in games like billboards in GTA5 or what have you.) Essentially you pay to get advertised to and may not even realise it.

We, as gamers, shouldn't want this either. The more we move towards games a service the more anti-gamer it's going to get. If you think companies like EA, who show no remorse about screwing us over, act poorly now... how do you think they'll behave when they hold all the cards? (Hint: not better that's for sure.)

Back