Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Recent rumors have come to light saying that the new Xbox would block used games. It goes without saying that this is a suicidal move on MS's part. But is it really?

It's my hope that the next Xbox does block games, so it's know whether or not this should be done which it shouldn't.

Maybe Xbox wants to be like PC which does not have used games and most games are bought digitally through Steam and other services. Xbox blocking used games could mean Xbox games would drop in price a lot faster like how PC games which become cheaper after a few months, or during game sales on Steam where you can buy games for a few dollars during the holidays.

Xbox will still have new games buyer from Xbox fans who want to buy a new copy of Halo, Fable 2, Forza, and other games to collect new copies which discs are unscratched, the box is in new condition, and the instruction booklet is untouched by the previous owner.

A lot of gamers still like new things especially if they are video game collectors.

They obviously want to block used games because they make no profit from their sales (meaning EB Games / Gamestop get it all).

Whilst I generally buy new so I can reward the developers, this is a terrible decision because it ostracises low income adults and children with pocket money who may not be able to pay full price for a game, and also forces people to not sell off their games which can be problematic if they need to pay off debts and whatnot.

There are just too many use cases against this idea.

Their only chance of getting it to work is to provide an online game sales and download service for cheap (a la Steam), not charge for it, and allow people to sell their games back.

Of course, if they don't allow second hand sales then they won't be able to release the console in Europe, which would be ridiculous.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

The selling of used digital copies of games would be pretty nice since someone else already paid full price for the game, and part of the money earned from the used sale of the game can go back to the developers, so they get money years from now when people re-sell their used digital games after they get bored of them. Game makers can keep making money from the sales of used digital games.

Plus, digital games never becomes unreadable like scratched or cracked discs, and if the digital games do go bad, you can redownload them to reinstall on your console.

It would be also better for the environment since no planes, trucks, and trains are needed to deliver the games like physical copies, and no paper, and plastic is needed to make the disc, manuals, and the plastic box to hold the disc

I hope they do honestly. Sure it's an extra $5 on our end, but they profit.
Wait, $5 to buy new or $5 to buy digital?

Because buying new here can cost up to $50 extra, and up to about $150 extra in countries like Brazil.

Digital should be significantly cheaper because you're merely paying for the license, not printing and distribution costs.

The selling of used digital copies of games would be pretty nice since someone else already paid full price for the game, and part of the money earned from the used sale of the game can go back to the developers, so they get money years from now when people re-sell their used digital games after they get bored of them. Game makers can keep making money from the sales of used digital games.

Plus, digital games never becomes unreadable like scratched or cracked discs, and if the digital games do go bad, you can redownload them to reinstall on your console.

It would be also better for the environment since no planes, trucks, and trains are needed to deliver the games like physical copies, and no paper, and plastic is needed to make the disc, manuals, and the plastic box to hold the disc
Well, they're readable until the OS can't run them. Thankfully Windows and Linux are pretty good with backwards compatibility. I'm not really sure about Mac.

Also, it is probably worth noting that the majority of digital sales are just licenses to let you play the game and have a date when the devs/publishers no longer support it or consider you an owner. I think Steam games lasted 5 years and any further would be up to the company who released it.

I meant used. GameStop sells used games for $5 less than new retail.

Gamestop isn't the only place to buy used games. They can be found much more than $5 cheaper on ebay, goodwill, kijiji, garage sales, from friends, etc.

Ehh, I don't really care if they do or not. The only negatives I see for me are either if I'm trying to buy a physical copy of a game later down the road and then they only have used games or if one of my buddies wants to borrow a game they can't play it online.

...this is a terrible decision because it ostracises low income adults and children with pocket money who may not be able to pay full price for a game, and also forces people to not sell off their games which can be problematic if they need to pay off debts and whatnot.

Exactly. I know a lot of people who wouldn't have any games period if not for the availability of used titles at reduced costs. This would be disastrous for Microsoft if it actually happens.

Is it just me or has Microsoft been making some of the dumbest decisions of all time lately? First they Make Windows 8 a mobile OS and try to force it on desktop users, the sales of the OS are at a complete standstill, (That has never happened before, btw.) they refuse to put the start menu back where it's supposed to be, dispite the massive outcry against the stupid decision to take it out, and now not only Is the Xbox 720 NOT backward compadible, but now we're hearing that they might be doing DRM-esque bull$#!T with the console to prevent resale of box copies of the games.

The hell is going on with this company?!

Maybe MS wants to focus more on casual users like Tablet and Smartphone owners who spend a lot of money on apps from the official app store, in-app purchases, DLC, digital games, digital music, eBooks, and movies, and if users do not buy things in the app store, they still make a lot of money for the app stores by watching and clicking on banner ads inside of apps, and video ads from apps downloaded from the apps store.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with them trying to focus on tablets, but I think a line needs to be drawn when they try to hoist there new "focus" on sectors of their own market that clearly don't want it. Same thing with the consoles. Most console gamers are not cloud gamers, and want their purchases to be an investment; not a license.

There maybe more potential cloud gamers in Japan, Sweden, and other countries, and cities which have cheap and easy access to high speed internet from a phone, tablet, or laptop, but may not want to pay the $60 dollar investment for a console game, and rather just download and buy a $5 PC, or mobile game from a digital marketplace like Steam, Google Play, Apple Apps Store, or pay a monthly price of $5.95 a month for unlimited PC game downloads from Gamefly, or 9.99 to stream unlimited games on the 9.99 bundle from Onlive to a settop gameconsole like box or PC.

Smart move, making it only compatible with brand new Xbox 720 games. They're really giving Sony an edge being this stupid.

I still think it's a good idea. They literally make no profits from used games.

I still think it's a good idea. They literally make no profits from used games.
When you think about it, if the rumors were true and Microsoft goes along with this anyway, this will basically amount to corporate suicide.

The console market is a market with competition. If one company does something the consumers don't like, the consumers aren't obligated to get the Xbox 720 or whatever. They could just as easily buy from their competitors instead.

Back