Is it cruel to put the elderly in nursing homes?

lb

愛してるザラ
Full GL Member
Credits
Personally, I think it is perfectly reasonable to put elderly family members, who require permanent care and suffer from mild dementia or other illnesses, in nursing homes. However, I have talked to some people who consider that you have a personal duty to take care of your grandparents yourself, at home, because they took care of you when you were little.

What's your stance on this issue? Is it cruel to put the elderly in nursing homes?

Hrmmm, no matter what the stance is, it is wrong to put them into a nursing home but at the end of the day there is no one who can really take care of the elderly properly.

My mom and other family members have worked in a lot of nursing homes and I won't lie, they suck and they are horrible. Most can be understaffed and overwhelmed and most of its residents just want to go home. Even if there is someone at home to take care of the elderly you still need a lot of equipment to do so and either way will cost the person a lot of money.

So in my view, no. Just send them someplace that they can be treated somewhat right. Because trying to move and keep a old person from falling over is rather hard and not hurt yourself in the process because a old person weighs a lot more than a child would.

Think it depends on a case by case scenario. If your unable to provide the help they need then I think it's fine, as long as it's a decent home.

It's 50/50 because there are some family that really doesn't have much time to take care the elderly or doesn't care for them anymore (which is sad but true); then there is some nursing homes for the elderly that gives me second thoughts on, there are some that really are bad in taking care of the older people (or baby boomers) and then there are some that are actually very nice people with good facilities.

Depending on each situation & decision, taking care family grandparents are good but of course, we are making sacrifices for own wants and needs. Then there are nursing homes with good educated staff that old people can go too and there is also an option, if the elderly wants to stay at an apartment or house and have a personal caregiver to stay with them (that is another good option to have).

Last edited:
I think it is cruel to put the elderly in a nursing home with a poor reputation, and rarely visiting the elderly.

But, there are some relatives with problems like mental health and physical problems which may make it harder for them to care for the elderly because of problems which they have to treat themselves. The elderly may also be more unhappy living with a relative which can't care for them properly, or the condition of the relative's house is very poor where it is cold or overly hot because of bad heating or not enough air conditioning. Some old people also need equipment to care for their health conditions, and the equipment is hard to use, expensive, and need regular maintenance.

People who had children when they were young like in their teens may not be able to rely on their children to care for them when they no longer can care for themselves because their children are also entering their senior citizen years.

For example, a person who had children when they were 15, would have a 65 year old elderly child when the parent is 80. Some people's health are not very good when they are 65 if they did not take care of their body, or they got ill because of a accident, stroke, drug use, heart attack, and other health problems.

People who had children when they were older may not be able to rely on their children if their children are not mature enough to handle the responsibility of caring for another person because they lack the life experience because they are still in their younger years.

Not really, because as you've said, sometimes is almost impossible for the family to properly take care of them if they are not only old people, but the most of them have degenerative diseases that are extremely difficult to deal with. I'm a psychology student and about a month ago for a final project I needed to go to a nursing home with some friends and try to do a fast group dynamic between them, but we end up doing nothing but talking to the people there, and I had the chance to talk with an old lady with dementia and her daughter was in the same nursing home because she has schizophrenia, imagine that! Having to take care of two people with those illnesses, especially if you're their relatives must be an extremely tiring situation, both physically and psychologically.
It's just my opinion, though.

It is cruel when you just don't care at all.. Didn't personally took care of them and worst didn't send them to this institutions. It is cruel when they are all alone and more cruel if they are just in the street spending their supposed to be relaxation and most cared stage.

I would say it depends on the nursing home, and on the situation. If they didn't need to be, but a son or daughter put their parent in a nursing home just so they didn't have to deal with them anymore, then that's cruel. But if they have dementia or something else that is hard to care for, I'd say it's a good thing to put them in a place where they can be cared for by people who know what they're doing. I wouldn't want to try to care for someone with severe alzheimer's for example, because I don't know how, and I feel they'd receive better care in a nursing home.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with it. If you don't wasnt to take care of them when you know it's that time of their life when you know they need to be taken care of like babies, then you should put them in an elderly home. I know some elderly who actually love it. They get to do a lot of great things there and people should not bash the community of people who don't see it as a place to throw their parents into, etc.

I think it really depends on the situation. In some cases the elderly end up in dementia which can be very difficult for anyone to deal with who is not trained to do so, putting them in a care home even though it may seem cruel probably isn't and is probably best for them. As long as you are sure the care home that they are in is safe then I don't see how it is cruel if they are being taken care of and if they are happy there.

I think it depends on the capacity of the family to take care of the person. Personally, when I retire, I already told my family to send me on those 30 day cruises every month. LOL

I think it depends on the capacity of the family to take care of the person. Personally, when I retire, I already told my family to send me on those 30 day cruises every month. LOL

30 days cruises sounds like a fun way to spend retirement.

I think living at a senior livings home is not always as bad as how Senior homes are shown on TV shows, cartoons like the Simpsons, and movies. Some senior homes' staff and volunteers try hard to organize trips for seniors. There are activities to do like TV, movies, internet, and playing games like bingo, cards, video games like Wii, Kinect and other activities. Family members can always bring their older family members out of the senior homes for lunch at a restaurant. Some seniors can also freely leave senior home to go grocery shopping if they can still walk, operate a wheelchair, and their mind is good enough to go out.

There are some that just can't take care of their loved one's anymore. It's got nothing to do with whether they want to help their loved ones or not but the fact that that person requires around the clock care and it's too hard for one person to provide that without it having a negative impact on their own health. At a place like this, the people that work there get to work in shifts and then they get to go home. If you are taking care of a loved one yourself, you don't get a break because it's there with you all the time. Some people just need places like this to help them take care of their loved ones. So, I don't think it's unreasonable.

There are some that just can't take care of their loved one's anymore. It's got nothing to do with whether they want to help their loved ones or not but the fact that that person requires around the clock care and it's too hard for one person to provide that without it having a negative impact on their own health. At a place like this, the people that work there get to work in shifts and then they get to go home. If you are taking care of a loved one yourself, you don't get a break because it's there with you all the time. Some people just need places like this to help them take care of their loved ones. So, I don't think it's unreasonable.

it is unreasonable because you don't know how well they will be taken care of. But some people have no choice.

You're right...some people have no choice. There is some research that you can do into different places in your area to see which one is suitable for your loved one. But that all comes down to doing your homework prior to placing your loved one into a facility.

For me, the answer is a yes. If that person willingly goes, then this wouldn't apply otherwise...it's cruel.

They have taken care of people and now, if no one takes care of them...wouldn't that be sad and cruel?

very much so.
Well there is one case, where I approve of it though. When that household doesn't care for them enough and try to downgrade them, just because they have to nurse them...in that case, old-age home life is way better than that other life.

Well there is one case, where I approve of it though. When that household doesn't care for them enough and try to downgrade them, just because they have to nurse them...in that case, old-age home life is way better than that other life.

Hopefully, the elderly who get abused by their household is not sent to a old-age home which has poor living conditions because the household pick the cheapest old age home to save money and time because they are too lazy to find a decent old age home with good staff and things like a TV, internet service, computers, and video games to keep the elderly more entertained.

Back