Is Streaming a real job?

I found it depends on the individual as to how much time they decide to spend on creating the content. Some dedicate 8 hours a day to it and stick to that and others go over that knowing that it ends up being a little more than full-time hours.

If it is something you enjoy though, you don't mind doing it for longer if you know it will help your cause and your earnings.

Still need a life, I'm starting to see more and more articles popping up on popular streamers being burnt out.

Still need a life, I'm starting to see more and more articles popping up on popular streamers being burnt out.
This is very true, I have seen it a lot myself and I too have suffered burnout from streaming as well.

Many tend to stream on Twitch and because they take so much from your subs and such (I believe it is 50% still unless it was updated) they are losing quite a bit and pushing through to make what they need to.

I do know that Kick is only taking 5% of what streamers earn on their platform and you as the streamer receive 95% which is great and will mean less burn out but not everyone has jumped to Kick and there is also that worry that they may change it sooner or later. We hope not but you can never be sure.

This is very true, I have seen it a lot myself and I too have suffered burnout from streaming as well.

Many tend to stream on Twitch and because they take so much from your subs and such (I believe it is 50% still unless it was updated) they are losing quite a bit and pushing through to make what they need to.

I do know that Kick is only taking 5% of what streamers earn on their platform and you as the streamer receive 95% which is great and will mean less burn out but not everyone has jumped to Kick and there is also that worry that they may change it sooner or later. We hope not but you can never be sure.
As far as Twitch fucking up with their stupid ass policies, we might see more people on YT and Kick. Rumble might be another alternative but that place is more on the political side, so not a first for most streamers. If I had to choose a platform to livestream games, I might just do Twitch to start off, Youtube for video uploads from twitch, and maybe just streaming on YT altogether when I get a following altogether.

It's one of those things where its only going to be a "real job" for very few people. It doesn't matter how "charismatic" you are, or how much you actually stream, because very few people are going to be successful streamers at all, let alone make it a full-time job. The overwhelming majority of people who stream on Twitch, for example, are averaging less than 30 viewers a night. That's basically nothing,

What most of these 'aspiring streamers' miss is that most of their audience is not going to come from Twitch. They are going to follow them from YouTube, or another social media platform, where it is much easier to build a following. In other words, yes, it is possible to make streaming a job, it just isn't likely.

I don't care what anyone says about tech or entertainment not being "real, honest work," because the only qualifier to what is -and isn't- a job is whether or not that occupation makes money. Period. If you make $12/hr on a dead-end job that has you firmly pressed against the glass ceiling 8 hours a day to pay your bills, and you can replace that with something else that can guarantee you the same money, do the other thing instead. It isn't about the TYPE of job you're doing, its about whether or not you can do it without missing the rent. I really can't stand people who see someone doing something they actually like for a living, and immediately turn around with the trusty ol' "Well, that's not a REAL job! You're not contributing to society" crap, because we all know these people would never say that if it was them in the same position. These people would never turn down an acting role, beta testing games/technology, or a speaking role at a conference to flip burgers at Burger King, because its a "real job." "Oh boy, I better not cash in my 500 Million dollar lottery ticket, because that's not a REAL JOB! Guess I'll keep working in sanitation dumping trash in a garbage truck the rest of my life!"

It's one of those things where its only going to be a "real job" for very few people. It doesn't matter how "charismatic" you are, or how much you actually stream, because very few people are going to be successful streamers at all, let alone make it a full-time job. The overwhelming majority of people who stream on Twitch, for example, are averaging less than 30 viewers a night. That's basically nothing,

What most of these 'aspiring streamers' miss is that most of their audience is not going to come from Twitch. They are going to follow them from YouTube, or another social media platform, where it is much easier to build a following. In other words, yes, it is possible to make streaming a job, it just isn't likely.

I don't care what anyone says about tech or entertainment not being "real, honest work," because the only qualifier to what is -and isn't- a job is whether or not that occupation makes money. Period. If you make $12/hr on a dead-end job that has you firmly pressed against the glass ceiling 8 hours a day to pay your bills, and you can replace that with something else that can guarantee you the same money, do the other thing instead. It isn't about the TYPE of job you're doing, its about whether or not you can do it without missing the rent. I really can't stand people who see someone doing something they actually like for a living, and immediately turn around with the trusty ol' "Well, that's not a REAL job! You're not contributing to society" crap, because we all know these people would never say that if it was them in the same position. These people would never turn down an acting role, beta testing games/technology, or a speaking role at a conference to flip burgers at Burger King, because its a "real job." "Oh boy, I better not cash in my 500 Million dollar lottery ticket, because that's not a REAL JOB! Guess I'll keep working in sanitation dumping trash in a garbage truck the rest of my life!"
"Real Job" talk is some boomer/gatekeeper trash. I'm sorry I'm not benefitting/transcending the purpose of mankind through some technological advancement/spiritual medium at my job. What the hell has society done as a job for me? Shouldn't society owe me something for playing its stupid game of "collect the paycheck?" I wouldn't say no to being bunkered down in my room all day with 50+ viewers giving subs while I go ham on Armored Core VI, since those 50+ viewers give way more a of a damn about me than a bunch of random bystanders passing me by on the street on my way to work.

Last edited:
"Real Job" talk is some boomer/gatekeeper trash. I'm sorry I'm not benefitting/transcending the purpose of mankind through some technological/spiritual medium at my job. What the hell has society done as a job for me? Shouldn't society owe me something for playing its stupid game of "collect the paycheck?" I wouldn't say no to being bunkered down in my room all day with 50+ viewers giving subs while I go ham on Armored Core VI, since those 50+ viewers give way more a of a damn about me than a bunch of random bystanders passing me by on the street on my way to work.
Exactly. The people who hate on content creators on YouTube, or talk trash about streaming, would never say an actor -or a talk show host- doesn't have a "real job," despite the fact that it is part of the same industry. Most of these people can't even define a "real job," because a "real job," is always some bull**** that no one in their right mind would ever want to do, unless they had no choice.

Anything that has a demand is a market, and anyone who gets paid to supply that demand HAS A JOB. That's what jobs are.

Yeah, am all in support of that too. They have been a greedy company for a while.
Not gonna happen 'til a vast majority of viewership leaves the platform, which doesn't seem like it's happening soon, despite Twitch's viewership being overall lower than 2021 (maybe skewed due to pandemic), is still pulling in an average of 2.5 million viewers per day on a 7-day period.

The only one to actually "beat" Twitch in terms of viewership is Youtube

Another platform, Kick, isn't even at 6-figures.

And why would people go to these platforms when there's already an established fanbase for big streamers? Streamers are better off staying on that platform in order to gain growing viewership from new accounts.

Not gonna happen 'til a vast majority of viewership leaves the platform, which doesn't seem like it's happening soon, despite Twitch's viewership being overall lower than 2021 (maybe skewed due to pandemic), is still pulling in an average of 2.5 million viewers per day on a 7-day period.

And why would people go to these platforms when there's already an established fanbase for big streamers? Streamers are better off staying on that platform in order to gain growing viewership from new accounts.

YouTube are not doing enough to take a bigger share of the market and that's unfortunate.

YouTube are not doing enough to take a bigger share of the market and that's unfortunate.
You'd think with a pretty baller ass video player, people would flock over, but there's still a lot of stuff like bit donations and sub perks you get on twitch as a streamer more than youtube.

They are truly making their money, there's no doubt about it.

See, this is why Mixer had the right idea when they offered streamers like Ninja big contracts to move platforms. They know that the biggest streamers are less likely to take the risk, and offering a big advance upfront mitigates that risk.

Paying big streamers to move from Twitch to another platform encourages small streamers -who probably aren't getting anywhere- to make the move for free.

You'd think with a pretty baller ass video player, people would flock over, but there's still a lot of stuff like bit donations and sub perks you get on twitch as a streamer more than youtube.

Twitch have overtaken YouTube since.

Back