Is Streaming a real job?

I appreciate that "adds something of value to society" is subjective; however, I think "Something I can't live without" is far, far too restrictive. It means anybody who's not involved with producing the bare essentials for human survival, does not have a real job.

We can live without education; therefore, by this definition, teaching is not "a real job".
We can live without the postal service; therefore, by this definition, being a postman is not "a real job".
We can live without computers; therefore, by this definition, manufacturing computers is not "a real job" (and all related jobs, e.g. software development, IT technicians, are not "real jobs" either).

Just because we can live without these things, doesn't mean we aren't better off for having them.
With teaching, you can say that indoctrination isn't a real job. I would put college on that list as there are people who are self-taught.
The Postal services need to use cars because we live too far apart is. But for marketing, sales, bills, and greeting cards the need is there only because the laws are in place. It is not ethical for it to just disappear if a bill is missed in the mail not delivered and a lack of internet.
We can but there are people who rely on it for a source of income like you'd never believe and no one is happy going back to the stone age.
You see bare essentials include jobs and jobs include money. If the money wasn't there and there was only bartering then would you feel the same way about a job? If no one can live without having a family for instance and the need isn't there for me I can live without it because it's allowed to. Then jobs add value to the individual. If the job doesn't pay, like say a farm worker, then that value on them is a small number so the market says we can live without it. The value they have is then political. Family with low-wage slaves being allowed you can say have value more than automation to more than one. But as long as there is no automation, the value is greed and power. As automation is for everyone and there is no cheating around the question.
TL;DR The subjectivity of having value to society is like saying I value people working for me because they are oppressed and can do me no harm that way. But I am worse off because they don't value me if my value is less than theirs, which is what money means. So that is why I can't value work from a personal level. You could say my statement is the same. I can't live without people caring for my life. However, if I could then I would still be here, but depressed.

Since we're going off on tangents here, I'll just respond to a couple of points:

With teaching, you can say that indoctrination isn't a real job. I would put college on that list as there are people who are self-taught.

Sure, some people are self-taught - but that model of education doesn't work for everyone. In fact, I don't think it works for most people. For the benefit of the most of us who either can't or won't self-teach, there's college - and so, being a college professor is definitely a "real job" in my book.

You see bare essentials include jobs and jobs include money.

I think there's a problem here. If our standard for "real jobs" is "things we can't live without", then we can't define "things we can't live without" to include "jobs" - because then, we have circular definitions. It also means any job is automatically a "real job", no matter how much or how little the benefit to society.

Of course, "adds value to society" is subjective, but we can measure it objectively. Is the market willing to pay the employee enough for their work, that they can reliably live off the money they get from it? If so, then their work passes the "Adds value to society" test.

Since we're going off on tangents here, I'll just respond to a couple of points:

Sure, some people are self-taught - but that model of education doesn't work for everyone. In fact, I don't think it works for most people. For the benefit of the most of us who either can't or won't self-teach, there's college - and so, being a college professor is definitely a "real job" in my book.

I think there's a problem here. If our standard for "real jobs" is "things we can't live without", then we can't define "things we can't live without" to include "jobs" - because then, we have circular definitions. It also means any job is automatically a "real job", no matter how much or how little the benefit to society.

Of course, "adds value to society" is subjective, but we can measure it objectively. Is the market willing to pay the employee enough for their work, that they can reliably live off the money they get from it? If so, then their work passes the "Adds value to society" test.
Adds value when the government has the potential to pick winners and losers ex: small businesses. Professors still have fail rates based on the students there. If the value isn't to the individual and the prof. still gets paid it's an empty deal.
We can live without jobs when there's automation, order, limited free will, and things we need always available. Plenty of businesses use it to save money hiring people so we can live without a job that requires delivery but it can be applied to all jobs. Evolution hasn't gone far enough to say our lives are unreplaceable.

List of people that add value to society but aren't really required.
Philosophy Professors
Solicitors
Mercenaries?
Arts degree students
Lobbyists
Uber Eats Drivers
Prostitutes
Crypto Content Creators

Streaming isn't a job unless it can pay the bills. Otherwise, it's just a hobby. It's also pretty hard to stand out when everyone on twitch basically follows trends or have a fake "happy-go-lucky" attitude.
I'm not saying you can't make it into a job, but the rate for being successful to make it a career is... pretty low.

Streaming isn't a job unless it can pay the bills. Otherwise, it's just a hobby. It's also pretty hard to stand out when everyone on twitch basically follows trends or have a fake "happy-go-lucky" attitude.
I'm not saying you can't make it into a job, but the rate for being successful to make it a career is... pretty low.

Deadly low is more like it really.

I think yes, if you have the audience. People that can follow your page and see what you are doing.

I would most certainly say it is a real job, although I would actually label it more like a self-employed business than a standard job. Granted I actually view it as a fairly poor job. Yes, some people do very well with it and many people love it, but when compared to many other options out there it holds up subpar in my book.

Your business, paycheck, and audience are heavily (if not entirely) based on a third party you have little control over. There is little room for automation or off-loading your workload as success does happen since it essentially relies on YOU being in front of the camera. Plus I can't think of many other jobs where your viewership (income) can vary so massively and rapidly based on minor things you say or even events/news out of your control.

Obviously, those are debatable as anyone can be fired or laid off tomorrow and there are huge perks to being a successful streamer.

I have to say that streaming can definitely be a real job if you've got a large audience. Anything is a real job if you're earning some type of cash that helps you live a comfortable life. It's tough being a streamer these days I feel though, there's tons of streamers trying to make it big out there so it's kind of over saturated these days.

I have to say that streaming can definitely be a real job if you've got a large audience. Anything is a real job if you're earning some type of cash that helps you live a comfortable life. It's tough being a streamer these days I feel though, there's tons of streamers trying to make it big out there so it's kind of over saturated these days.
Which is why it's not at all guaranteed you'll be big. Been having a friend stream for almost a decade and he isn't big at all.

Back