Just bought some new PC components

The cooler is stock. Seems to work great tho. The GPU did get a bit warm so I turned off Nvidia DLSS :surpise:

Here is the exact CPU: 12th Gen i9-12900

It's a beast. That with a 1TB NVMe and everything, including boot up, is instant!! :grin:
You need a better cooler. stock won't cut it in the long run. the CPU could spike to 100 degree Celsius while gaming.

You need a better cooler. stock won't cut it in the long run. the CPU could spike to 100 degree Celsius while gaming.
Is there a way to monitor the temp? I already do for the GPU.

You can use MSI afterburner to monitor the CPU temp. It's important for the CPU's health especially for Alder and Raptor . RTX 3070 is fine with the temp no need to worry about it, it can handle high temps good enough.

So I can just monitor? I don't have to overclock? (never got into that)

You can just monitor or do both, but If you are not careful with overclocking it could damage the GPU and/or CPU. overclocking the RTX 3070 could rise its temp too.

I checked it out. It is way too much for what I need. I can monitor GPU temp with another app, and I installed "Core Temp" which shows all 16 cores and what temp. They are all around 30c at the moment. :)

Yes core temp is good too. Good just watch the temp while gaming.

I would not dare game with it with stock cooler though.

I played COD Modern Warfare II for at least an hour. GPU didn't go higher than 72c. Will test it with Core Temp next time I play.

COD Modern Warfare II or similar FPSes are not that hard on CPU. Games like Total War Warhammer III, or Combat Flight Sim like DCS, they are really hard on CPU. In DCS' case also really hard on GPU.

Another video on 12th gen i9 12900's 100 degree Celsius temp thermal throttling with stock cpu cooler.

Attachments

• i9aldethermalt.jpg
    i9aldethermalt.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 6
COD Modern Warfare II or similar FPSes are not that hard on CPU. Games like Total War Warhammer III, or Combat Flight Sim like DCS, they are really hard on CPU. In DCS' case also really hard on GPU.
Okay cool. Almost all I play are on-line shooters. Mainly MWII. I also play PUBG, EVE On-line, and maybe Stellaris. Are these okay?

Okay cool. Almost all I play are on-line shooters. Mainly MWII. I also play PUBG, EVE On-line, and maybe Stellaris. Are these okay?
Well they are not that hard on CPU, but you must still monitor the CPU's temp as it's an issue with the stock cooler. Intel really needs to step up their stock cooler design.

Are they hard to swap out? It's an LGA 1700 Socket V (on a pre-built HP Envy TE02-0042, 2022 model).

Well there are quite a lot of screws. and you'll have to apply a new thermal paste on the cpu when installing a new cooler, and you have to makesure that your PC case has enough space for the new cooler, because a good CPU cooler will consume quite a lot of space. I have never used an HP PC before but maybe you could buy a new cooler from them and ask them to install the new cooler for you?

Reactions: cm2
Last edited:
Annd bought 32GB DDR 5 5600 Mhz Corsair Vengence the other day, that leaves the Rtx 5000 GPU in 2024/2025 --depending on how good will the price to performance ratio of the Rtx 5000 GPU be-- and the Power Supply :
bUE6YgF.jpg

Last edited:
that's good and have you checked your pc case's space to ensure that it can go in.
Here's a shot of the inside of my PC:

DSC00808.JPG

What do you think?

Here's a shot of the inside of my PC:

View attachment 3915

What do you think?
probably will be a bit tight at the back and it will hover on top of the DRAM slots and sticks a bit. But it will fit I think, though it's a bit hard without measurements. Noctua's dimensions are 6.5 x 5.91 x 5.31 inches so you could just measure it.

That's not a stock cooler though, it's a custom heatsink probably custom made HP one. I don't know its performance though. As I have never used an HP PC.

Last edited:
probably will be a bit tight at the back and it will hover on top of the DRAM slots and sticks a bit. But it will fit I think, though it's a bit hard without measurements. Noctua's dimensions are 6.5 x 5.91 x 5.31 inches so you could just measure it.

That's not a stock cooler though, it's a custom heatsink probably custom made HP one. I don't know its performance though. As I have never used an HP PC.
Coolness! It's pre-built, but especially made for gaming. Honestly, I'd like to just bump it up to 32GB ram and there ya go!

Back