My flower website

NintenDan

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
I've rambled about a flower website in the shoutbox for a while, so here it is:

Note it's a resized screenshot, it's not that blurry. There's a logo, search thing and Flash content in the header (Flash was mandatory, but it's just a pretty animation, nothing important, site still works without it).

Navigation bar up the top. I'd make it smaller, but there's a 40 pixel high minimum, which sucks.

Side navigation bar that has all your browsing choices, it's nifty.

Main content area that shows your products. There's a page title in there, as well as a section title, a sorting checklist and a few examples of content.

There's a footer down below, but that's just a green bar with the logo, contact info and the privacy, copyright, site map, etc.

Tell me what you think, basically. I've shown a few people, they said they liked it. I wanted to keep it as accessible and simple as possible for my target audience, which is 18 to 40 year olds. There's no real need for fancy Javascript in my eyes, as my menus don't require it.

Also, this site WOULD have to have PHP, but the search feature and sorting checklist are just mock ups, we don't have to make them work.

Basically, tell me if there's anything you think is HORRID. Please don't say the whole site's crap, it's a bit too late for a complete overhaul, heh. Well not too late, but I don't want to redesign EVERYTHING. Minor chanages, on the other hand, easy. And Myntal, in case you read this, made with just HTML and CSS! *sexy wink*

The Prices are outrageous! D:

Don't take the prices seriously, heh. They're just filler text. Same with the descriptions:

"No, you can't buy that flower. I don't care if it's "sdfsd", you're not having it."

Nice! but yeah those prices would either have me broke or single, my girl already complaints I never get her enough flowers
tongue.gif

Browse by price made me think how it could be used to catch out cheapskates, just compare the flowers your 'true love' bought you to those priced as 'less than $50'. If it matches any listed, then you know they're cheapskates.

Seriously though, it looks nice. I can tell immediately what the website is about and what it sells, which is unfortunately a great deal more than can be said about many real corporate and online shopping sites. There's a reason WebPagesThatSuck gives the point 'a man from Mars can't figure out what your website is about in less than four seconds' as an indication of bad website design, and thankfully your site averts this. You can easily tell it's a commerce site selling flowers for events like Mother's Day and Valentine's Day.

The links are all clear, no mystery meat navigation, so you can find what you're looking for easily.

Logo and visual design is good, and extremely clear.

Colour scheme matches the site topic.

The search box is well placed and easily found for quick finding of information.

All in all though, it looks very nice and quite professional if I do say so myself.

Obviously the prices are just examples, right?

Browse by price made me think how it could be used to catch out cheapskates, just compare the flowers your 'true love' bought you to those priced as 'less than $50'. If it matches any listed, then you know they're cheapskates.

Seriously though, it looks nice. I can tell immediately what the website is about and what it sells, which is unfortunately a great deal more than can be said about many real corporate and online shopping sites. There's a reason WebPagesThatSuck gives the point 'a man from Mars can't figure out what your website is about in less than four seconds' as an indication of bad website design, and thankfully your site averts this. You can easily tell it's a commerce site selling flowers for events like Mother's Day and Valentine's Day.

The links are all clear, no mystery meat navigation, so you can find what you're looking for easily.

Logo and visual design is good, and extremely clear.

Colour scheme matches the site topic.

The search box is well placed and easily found for quick finding of information.

All in all though, it looks very nice and quite professional if I do say so myself.

Obviously the prices are just examples, right?
You can't believe how happy I am to have read this, it's made me feel super dooper happy and relieve! Clarity is what I definitely was going for, as well as accessibility too! (If you turn off the CSS style sheet, you still see all the links, the headings, the descriptions and prices).

The best part is that you were able to immediately figure out what the site was doing, that's even better.

And yeah... of course the prices are examples... hah hah... hah... *shifty eyes, rushes to edit prices*

My target audience is 18 to 40 year old males and females, if anybody's interested. That's because sometimes everybody wants flowers, depending on the need. I didn't bother with trying to make the site both masculine and feminine, because let's face it, when you think of flowers, you think of fancy fonts and colours like greens, reds, yellows and sometimes blues. Who wants to shop at a flower site with grunge text everywhere, anyway? Heh. *imagines a flower store with grunge text*

I'm immediately thinking of the complete disaster that would be a website selling flowers in the same style as a gaming website. Complete with picture of Mario in the header.

I'm glad to know it copes well with CSS disabled, that's good for those using screen readers and text based browsers due to disabilities.

Heh, a Flower Shop run by Floro Sapiens, perhaps? That'd be hilarious if you ask me. They'd be selling humans or something.

But anyway, aside from the evil prices.

The site looks good!

It all looks nice. I'm surprised that you went with browsing by color as opposed to flower type/breed/species, but that does make the site more user-friendly for folks not too familiar with flowers.

Maybe you should start designing websites for a career, NDan
smile.gif

It looks great! The green contrasts with the pink well.

The only thing that bothers me is the amount of pink, it's a bit straining on the eyes.

It looks great! The green contrasts with the pink well.

The only thing that bothers me is the amount of pink, it's a bit straining on the eyes.
Hmmm, should I try correct that by using lighter shades of pink, perhaps? The pink colours I've got now are apparently "websafe", but nowadays most monitors can display more than the 256 or so websafe colours, so I will probably be alright if I up the lightness and desaturate a few things, like the pink background. The pink for the headings will probably stay the same, gotta keep them stand-out-ish.

As a ladyface, I have some girly advice!

I'd rather see stock photos rotating with super excited people accepting flowers as gifts and further flower displays on top with some catchy quote about how flowers really brighten a loved one's day or something. I think I need to see the little flash bee and butterfly moving before I really make a decision on that though. :3 As for the prices, where is your "SALE" or "SPECIALS" tab?
ohmy.gif
! For your navigation bar on the left side, either keep with capitalizing your tabs or don't! You have the other tabs of "Get Well Soon" and "Just Because" capitalized, so make "Reds and oranges" be "Reds and Oranges" and so on with the other color tabs! Other than those comments--I love the logo and colors, the softer pink was a great choice and incorporating real flowers in the headers looks great!

Wait... rotating pictures of happy people? The happy people I understand, but... uh... maybe not so much constant rotating. Unless if you just mean angled pictures; I can put those on the appropriate pages.

Good point about the Sales and Specials tab, I should put one up the top.

The Flash thing looks okay, it's just a little bee flying and two butterflies fluttering past, nothing too distracting, but it's a nice touch.

Good point about the tab capitalisation as well, didn't notice that. Also, I can probably add a special tab for "50% off!" disclaimers that floats underneath the price tab of each image, that is optional. Yeah, that seems good. I'll go make these changes now!

Back