PS4 My issue with getting a PS4

I don't think you should get one. I think ps4 is shit. Some people can relate to what I just said. Ps4 is not a upgrade. It is a joke. Don't waste your money on that shit. You should keep your ps3 and stop trying to please people.

You're talking a lot of smack but not explaining yourself, why do you believe all that?

As someone who owns both the PS4 and the XBox One, I can definitively state that the PS4 is a superior gaming system both in the overall gameplay and in the quality and variety of games available for it. With the new PSVR coming out the PS4, I wouldn't hesitate getting a PS4, particularly if the price goes down $50 in time for Black Friday this year. The only reason you may have for not wanting to the the PS4 is that you want to get the new PS5 comes out, presumably in Q4 2017/Q1 2018.

I think it is a little silly that some Playstation 3 games won't work with Playstation 4. I'm glad it is something Sony is attempting to remedy. I desperately want a Playstation 4, but simply have not had the extra cash to buy one. I'm holding out for a better price on one, which will hopefully happen before a Playstation 5 is released.

I think it is a little silly that some Playstation 3 games won't work with Playstation 4. I'm glad it is something Sony is attempting to remedy. I desperately want a Playstation 4, but simply have not had the extra cash to buy one. I'm holding out for a better price on one, which will hopefully happen before a Playstation 5 is released.

far as I know, no PS3 games work on PS4 without their digital service or PS4 remasters.

Sadly its not something they are trying to remedy. They can't. The disk drive from what I heard on the PS4 and PS3 are completely different so it wouldn't be able to read PS3 disks on the PS4. We are just getting remasters from developers.

Sadly its not something they are trying to remedy. They can't. The disk drive from what I heard on the PS4 and PS3 are completely different so it wouldn't be able to read PS3 disks on the PS4. We are just getting remasters from developers.

hopefully the next playstation will have a similar disk drive.

It's not the disc drive. (They both use bluray. So does the Xbox 1 for that matter...)

The problem is the design of the system and how they're coded. The PS3 uses a vastly different set up it focused on a 6 core processor (each at 3.2ghz) with a 7th master (also at 3.2ghz) that provided all the instructions to each of the others. This means coding for the system is much more difficult because each instruction has to be routed through one main processor. (When done properly this means a greater speed/power... but when not done it means games run like crap.)

The PS4 on the otherhand uses an x86 architecture which is basically just a standard PC. It has 8 cores with 1 dedicated to the OS. The other cores are for the games. This means a huge difference in how games are programmed. Any of the remaining cores can do any of the tasks. They don't have to be routed through one processor and scheduled. This is important because it means that technically more can be done because it doesn't need to rely on that one core.

So then why can't the PS4 emulate the PS3?

Because software emulation requires an order of magnitude more power. The PS2 has a 333mhz processor. It takes at least a dual core processor at 2.4 ghz per core to emulate it. The PS3 would require somewhere within realm of a 32 ghz (per core) octa core processor to completely software emulate that. The PS4 does not have that level of processing power. This is why they can't emulate it. They would have to recode the entire game from scratch to get it to work on the PS4. (Which is what they're doing for remasters and collections of games from the PS3...)

They could easily include the cell processor in the PS4 but it would increase the cost of the PS4 (probably within the range of $60-$80) like they did on the PS3 initially to make backwards compatibility with PS2. But this means sacrificing the cost advantage they had over Microsoft. (Kind of a moot point now, but it's unlikely they'd want to make the hardware even more expensive later in it's life cycle.)

It's not the disc drive. (They both use bluray. So does the Xbox 1 for that matter...)

The problem is the design of the system and how they're coded. The PS3 uses a vastly different set up it focused on a 6 core processor (each at 3.2ghz) with a 7th master (also at 3.2ghz) that provided all the instructions to each of the others. This means coding for the system is much more difficult because each instruction has to be routed through one main processor. (When done properly this means a greater speed/power... but when not done it means games run like crap.)

The PS4 on the otherhand uses an x86 architecture which is basically just a standard PC. It has 8 cores with 1 dedicated to the OS. The other cores are for the games. This means a huge difference in how games are programmed. Any of the remaining cores can do any of the tasks. They don't have to be routed through one processor and scheduled. This is important because it means that technically more can be done because it doesn't need to rely on that one core.

So then why can't the PS4 emulate the PS3?

Because software emulation requires an order of magnitude more power. The PS2 has a 333mhz processor. It takes at least a dual core processor at 2.4 ghz per core to emulate it. The PS3 would require somewhere within realm of a 32 ghz (per core) octa core processor to completely software emulate that. The PS4 does not have that level of processing power. This is why they can't emulate it. They would have to recode the entire game from scratch to get it to work on the PS4. (Which is what they're doing for remasters and collections of games from the PS3...)

They could easily include the cell processor in the PS4 but it would increase the cost of the PS4 (probably within the range of $60-$80) like they did on the PS3 initially to make backwards compatibility with PS2. But this means sacrificing the cost advantage they had over Microsoft. (Kind of a moot point now, but it's unlikely they'd want to make the hardware even more expensive later in it's life cycle.)

Then they should offer BC PS4's via a special online store, I be more than happy to shell out extra for a PS4 if it played PS3 because at this point I'm afraid that my PS3 might die anytime.

Back