Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
So maybe you've picked up on this or not, tomorrow this will be all you hear as long time infamous online gaming forum NeoGAF is currently down. The reason? The owner Evilore is currently dealing with allegations of sexual harassment.

NeoGAF has been up since 1999, which due to the possible sexual incident its been reported that forum mods are quitting left and right, hundreds of users are quitting via ban (which for the site means deleting their accounting) and the site is currently down.

Kotaku goes into much more dept of this issue, but the above is a quick overview of things.

So you're thoughts on this? Anyone here visit the site or was a member there?

Funny enough I learned today playing Splatoon where someone had scribbled "RIP NeoGAF". I had no idea it was due to such allegations and the storm that brewed on it before it went down. That is quite the surprise. Doesn't sound very likely to recover unless those allegations are proven false and even then the major damage might be had put them a deep hole. :/

I don't have an account with them but from time to time I read some of their threads.

NeoGAF.
They were the ones who spread hatred towards premu any game I've announced.
Except the most recent one, they were awfully quiet about that one for some reason (maybe because it looked much better than anything earlier?).

NeoGAF.
They were the ones who spread hatred towards premium any game I've announced.
Except for the most recent one, they were awfully quiet about that one for some reason (maybe because it looked much better than anything earlier?).
That's awful!

Why would they hate your games in the first place?

While I'm aware of the fact they don't match the quality of games a multi-billion company with 1000s of employees at all, they typically take the full press release I send out, and pick out only a little portion out of it, which is the portion they can prove that 'it sucks'.

Like for example with BlockForm, I clearly stated many times before that it was never meant to be a serious project, but instead it was an experiment to see how far I could get to create a full game all alone in a single month.
Despite that, this fact has always been ignored by the mass media, because smaller devs must suck, and therefore have no place in the market (just like with everything else in the capitalistic world).

While I'm aware of the fact they don't match the quality of games a multi-billion company with 1000s of employees at all, they typically take the full press release I send out, and pick out only a little portion out of it, which is the portion they can prove that 'it sucks'.

Like for example with BlockForm, I clearly stated many times before that it was never meant to be a serious project, but instead it was an experiment to see how far I could get to create a full game all alone in a single month.
Despite that, this fact has always been ignored by the mass media, because smaller devs must suck, and therefore have no place in the market (just like with everything else in the capitalistic world).
DAMN!

Glad that website is gone for good. lol

I wonder how many people today would even be able to pick out fake news from real news. That may be a serious issue down the track IMO

I wonder how many people today would even be able to pick out fake news from real news. That may be a serious issue down the track IMO
The whole "fake news" hysteria is fake news by itself.
It all started because it's getting clearer and clearer that the big corporate media (mainly Western, but also Al-Jazeera) are lying to their audience on American dictate.
And as a result, more people stopped following their news, and went over to independent media (media that isn't controlled by any government for profit, media that actually does research on important issues before they post anything at all).

This hurts the corporate media a lot, and of course the Western governments even more, so they've invented new artificial words like "Russian propaganda", "Russian hackers", "fake news", "conspiracy theories", "useful idiots", "neo-Nazi", "alt-right", "far right", just to name a few.
And the most recent addition to the collection would be "North Korean hackers" and "Rocketman" of all things.
All to lure people back to the mainstream propaganda stations, and thus brainwash the Western audience again.

The whole "fake news" hysteria is fake news by itself.
It all started because it's getting clearer and clearer that the big corporate media (mainly Western, but also Al-Jazeera) are lying to their audience on American dictate.
And as a result, more people stopped following their news, and went over to independent media (media that isn't controlled by any government for profit, media that actually does research on important issues before they post anything at all).

This hurts the corporate media a lot, and of course the Western governments even more, so they've invented new artificial words like "Russian propaganda", "Russian hackers", "fake news", "conspiracy theories", "useful idiots", "neo-Nazi", "alt-right", "far right", just to name a few.
And the most recent addition to the collection would be "North Korean hackers" and "Rocketman" of all things.
All to lure people back to the mainstream propaganda stations, and thus brainwash the Western audience again.

The "alt-right" was a term coined by Spencer himself to define his own special brand of disgusting white nationalism and certainly wasn't anything made up by the "corporate media" or whatever you charge.

As for NeoGAF, it doesn't really surprise me. Malka is a piece of shit and his demeanor on the forums never really hid that. I said my piece there, predictably got banned for calling them out and moved on to the new forum. Is what it is.

Sometime the bigger the forum, the more out of control it can get but it can be the other way around too - big forums can get along well.

Sometime the bigger the forum, the more out of control it can get but it can be the other way around too - big forums can get along well.

Not sure about you, but I haven't seen many peaceful large forums in my time. Generally, the rule of thumb is that things get out of control at about 150 people or more, based on Dunbar's number:

Dunbar's number - Wikipedia

this is true, but it makes things fun though :p

Not sure about you, but I haven't seen many peaceful large forums in my time. Generally, the rule of thumb is that things get out of control at about 150 people or more, based on Dunbar's number:

Dunbar's number - Wikipedia

Which is why I wouldn't mind just owning a 50 memeberish forum or so.

this is true, but it makes things fun though :p

Which is why I wouldn't mind just owning a 50 memeberish forum or so.

Nor would I. Though to be fair, I'd say it's more about 150 odd active members than 150 total. And in that case, both this forum and Wario Forums are probably about the right size for a peaceful community.

Back