New Steam Link app will let players stream games from their PCs to Android and iOS

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Steam is bringing mobile game streaming to Android and iOS with a new Steam Link app which will let gamers stream games off their Mac or PC over the internet to their smartphones. The app is scheduled to launch at the end of the month during the week of May 21st, with Android support initially offered in beta.

New Steam Link app will let players stream games from their PCs to Android and iOS

This is good news for mobile gamers who want to stream Steam PC games to their phone or tablet by using the Steam link app.

Is there a need for such a thing?

Is there a need for such a thing?

Using your smartphone, tablet, or Laptop/Google Chromebook with Android support and the free Steam Link App is cheaper than the Steam Link physical streaming console which still cost $40 or more for a used Steam Link on eBay. There are also people with Apple TV, Fire TV. Google Android PCs, game consoles, and settop boxes which can now use the Steam Link App to stream PC games to their TV.

More people these days prefer using their mobile devices for most tasks. But, the game selection on mobile devices are not as good as PC. Mobile gamers who prefer PC games can now stream their Steam games like Call of Duty, Half-Life 2, Doom, Final Fantasy, etc to their mobile device, and use a gamepad controller or touchscreen controls to play their PC games.

Desktop PCs and monitors are usually shared with many people and devices like laptops, game consoles, and TV boxes, so some users may not be able to use their PC or monitor for playing games. Using the Steam Link App to stream a Steam PC game to a smartphone/tablet, and a controller for playing the game would make it possible for someone to play PC games while someone is using the computer, or PC monitor for a non-PC gaming task.

I can see to other large devices, but there is no need to stream it to phones.

There are VR headsets from Samsung and Google which uses a phone as the screen, so the phonepicture would still be large when used on a VR headset for phones.

Phones are getting larger where there are phones which have screens which are as large as tablets.

Mobile gamers these days like playing console emulators and games like PUBG and Fort Nite on their phone and tablet, so Steam Link app maybe useful for some mobile gamers.

I think its a good idea specially when you want to play during travels, but i don't know a bout the controls specially using smartphones with small screens. But let's see, i want to try it specially nowadays that i travel more often.

Back