Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Analysts don't twiddle their thumbs, they keep on making stuff up. But a Wall Street Journal related analyst, the same who predicted the pro and slim, believes Sony will launch (or at least announce) their next console come later 2018 to undermine Microsoft's upcoming Scorpio console.

Do you want the next console so soon? What do you hope to see from the PlayStation 5?

I don't know. The PS4 isn't that old and it didn't suffer from low sales like the Wii U. Though, I could just be skeptical because it's the WSJ and we all know what kind of crap they'll spew for a click or two.

I'll only want it if it's backward compatible with PS4 games >.>

It would be stupid of them to release on this soon because the PS4 can still be considered relatively new. And it's not exactly lacking in terms of specs or games so people can play it for a few years. They won't gain that many sales if they release it in 2018 thats for sure :/

It would be stupid of them to release on this soon because the PS4 can still be considered relatively new. And it's not exactly lacking in terms of specs or games so people can play it for a few years. They won't gain that many sales if they release it in 2018 thats for sure :/

I'm pretty sure we'll get news or announcement of a 2019/2020 release in 2018.

It is strange that the Wall Street Journal is releasing game console rumors when it is a traditional newspaper, and not really a tech news magazine like Wired, and PC World.

I think there is a chance that Sony may improve the cooling fan system for a higher CPU clock speed in the PS4 Pro in 2018. Sony can also install a slightly better CPU, and a little bit more RAM in future versions of the PS4 Pro as the price of CPUs and RAM becomes more affordable.

If this is the PS5 then I don't really expect to see anything until 2020 or 2021 at earliest. Sony tends to go for the longer release cycles.

Besides at this point there really isn't as much of a purpose to beefing specs up to focus on graphics anymore. I mean graphics have gotten pretty good now and it's reached the point where they won't get much better without significant hardware upgrades and massive development times. (Both of which are very cost prohibitive.)

It is strange that the Wall Street Journal is releasing game console rumors when it is a traditional newspaper, and not really a tech news magazine like Wired, and PC World.

I think there is a chance that Sony may improve the cooling fan system for a higher CPU clock speed in the PS4 Pro in 2018. Sony can also install a slightly better CPU, and a little bit more RAM in future versions of the PS4 Pro as the price of CPUs and RAM becomes more affordable.

they will say anything for attention. PS5 would be a head turner.

If this is the PS5 then I don't really expect to see anything until 2020 or 2021 at earliest. Sony tends to go for the longer release cycles.

Besides at this point there really isn't as much of a purpose to beefing specs up to focus on graphics anymore. I mean graphics have gotten pretty good now and it's reached the point where they won't get much better without significant hardware upgrades and massive development times. (Both of which are very cost prohibitive.)

hopefully you're right, I just got a PS4 and I don't want it to be obsolete already.

I don't know if they'll actually release a new console in 2018 but I think they'll make an announcement of some kind in 2018. They'll probably want to get as much sales as they can out of the PS4 before they'll start selling the PS5.

they will say anything for attention. PS5 would be a head turner.

hopefully you're right, I just got a PS4 and I don't want it to be obsolete already.

It's a shame that WSJ is now like tabloids, and celebrity news blogs which posts rumors to get more traffic, but damaging their reputation in the long run.

Sony may release a PS5 in 2018, so they can earn more money before game consoles become less popular over time like other tech like Paid Cable TV, typewriters, regular postal mail, land line telephones where usage and sales of land line telephones are declining because of more attractive alternative like smartphones, the internet, and PC which can do more tasks like use apps, and play games.

PC Gaming is now becoming more popular and affordable because the price of computer parts like video cards and RAM are now more affordable where you can buy a decent $150 video card to play many games at medium video quality settings. Most games for PC cost less than console games, and there are free games like League of Legends, and Dota 2 which are very popular.

There maybe more new gamers in the future who stick to playing mobile games on smartphones, and tablets, so they will not buy a console or Gaming PC in the future because they are satisfied with playing mobile games on their mobile device.

Last edited:
I can see a 2019 release at the earliest. I'm also hopeful for backwards compatibility because Sony will most likely stick with the same architecture they are using now.

I can see a 2019 release at the earliest. I'm also hopeful for backwards compatibility because Sony will most likely stick with the same architecture they are using now.

I think Sony could someday use mobile/ARM chips like the Nvidia Tegra X1 in the Nintendo Switch and Nvidia Shield TV consoles depending on how powerful and affordable mobile chips are in the future. Backwards compatibility will not be easy for future consoles consoles unless Sony creates an Emulator to emulate PS4 games on future consoles. The PS5 may use cartridges or memory cards, or online-only downloadable games, and future consoles will not have a disc drive, so people with PS4 disc games will not be able to play PS4 disc games in the PS5 because the PS5 does not have a disc drive.

Last edited:
I think Sony could someday use mobile/ARM chips like the Nvidia Tegra X1 in the Nintendo Switch and Nvidia TV consoles depending on how powerful and affordable mobile chips are in the future. Backwards compatibility will not be easy for future consoles consoles unless Sony creates an Emulator to emulate PS4 games on future consoles. The PS5 may use cartridges or memory cards, or online-only downloadable games, and future consoles will not have a disc drive, so people with PS4 disc games will not be able to play PS4 disc games in the PS5 because the PS5 does not have a disc drive.
I don't think they'll copy Nintendo that quickly.

they can though, they did put motion controls onto PS3.
Yeah, but adding small gyros to a controller is a smaller feat than completely changing your console infrastructure. I still see Microsoft and Sony trying to be the graphics king next gen.

If the Switch proves to be a smash success, we could see an imitator from Sony, but who knows when that might happen.

I'd love for them to copy the Switch, I hate having my games tethered to the TV now.

Yeah, but adding small gyros to a controller is a smaller feat than completely changing your console infrastructure. I still see Microsoft and Sony trying to be the graphics king next gen.

If the Switch proves to be a smash success, we could see an imitator from Sony, but who knows when that might happen.

I'd love for them to copy the Switch, I hate having my games tethered to the TV now.

I think it is harder to make fun games with great gameplay which made good use of the Sony Move motion controllers, so Sony's motion controls were not very popular compared to the Wiimote motion controller. The Wii had Wii sports, and other titles which was able to attract a lot of gamers who like the motion games in the Wii mote.

Sony also have motion games for the Playstaion webcam, but the games were not hugely popular.

Sony may make a tablet console someday if there are enough people who want a mobile game console with a bigger screen, and faster performance than the PSP Vita.

Sony switch to different CPUs, and computer types many times in the past depending on what chips best suited the needs of the console at the time.

The PS1-PS2 used a MIPS RISC type CPU, the PS3 uses Sony's Cell CPU which was like most super computer CPUs because it has many cores, and PS4 uses AMD Jagaur APU which is found on cheaper laptops, netbooks, and mini PCs which typically use AMD APU based CPUs because they have both a CPU and Graphics Processor built-into one chip similar to most mobile CPU, and Intel chips like the Celeron/Atom which had a CPU and integrated graphics processors.

I think when mobile/ARM based CPUs like the Nvidia Tegra X1 or Qualcomm Snapdragon chips improve in speed where they can play 4K video games smoothly, and powerful mobile chips are cheaper in price than similar performance AMD, Intel and other CPU brands, Sony may use a Nvidia Tegra CPU or other mobile chip similar to the Nintendo Switch and Nvidia Switch TV console which uses the Nvidia Tegra X1 chip.

Last edited:
I think it is harder to make fun games with great gameplay which made good use of the Sony Move motion controllers, so Sony's motion controls were not very popular compared to the Wiimote motion controller. The Wii had Wii sports, and other titles which was able to attract a lot of gamers who like the motion games in the Wii mote.

Sony also have motion games for the Playstaion webcam, but the games were not hugely popular.

Sony may make a tablet console someday if there are enough people who want a mobile game console with a bigger screen, and faster performance than the PSP Vita.

Sony switch to different CPUs, and computer types many times in the past depending on what chips best suited the needs of the console at the time.

The PS1-PS2 used a MIPS RISC type CPU, the PS3 uses Sony's Cell CPU which was like most super computer CPUs because it has many cores, and PS4 uses AMD Jagaur APU which is found on cheaper laptops, netbooks, and mini PCs which typically use AMD APU based CPUs because they have both a CPU and Graphics Processor built-into one chip similar to most mobile CPU, and Intel chips like the Celeron/Atom which had a CPU and integrated graphics processors.

I think when mobile/ARM based CPUs like the Nvidia Tegra X1 or Qualcomm Snapdragon chips improve in speed where they can play 4K video games smoothly, and powerful mobile chips are cheaper in price than similar performance AMD, Intel and other CPU brands, Sony may use a Nvidia Tegra CPU or other mobile chip similar to the Nintendo Switch and Nvidia Switch TV console which uses the Nvidia Tegra X1 chip.
That's a lot of maybes. What we know right now is that they switched to x86 architecture per developers requesting it. Sony wanted to minimize barriers to entry as best they could.

That's a lot of maybes. What we know right now is that they switched to x86 architecture per developers requesting it. Sony wanted to minimize barriers to entry as best they could.

I think most experienced developers can convert their existing x86 games to work on Mobile/ARM chips if they wanted to, or make games designed for Mobile/ARM chips. There are mobile games for mobile/ARM devices which were originally made for x86 and game consoles. Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Grand Theft Auto 3 are games which can be played on x86 and game console Chips found in PC computers, but now also work on mobile chips like the Nvidia Tegra X1.

There is a possibility that AMD will stop making low cost CPUs for future game consoles, cheaper PCs, and laptops when it is time for Sony to design its next console. AMD plans on exiting the cheap CPU market to focus of performance. Sony will needs to find a new type of CPU like mobile/ARM for their next console when there are no longer any affordable high performance x86 CPU makers except for maybe VIA which mostly make x86 chips for cheap PCs, and settop media player boxes.

Intel CPUs are expensive, and Intel may not be interested in selling or designing cheaper x86 CPUs to Sony. Intel makes most of its money selling its CPUs to PC, Windows tablet, and Server makers. Intel's cheaper desktop PC CPUs like the Celeron and Core i3 still cost around $70-200 which maybe too expensive for a game console where Sony also needs to budget money for the motherboard, RAM, hard drive, disc drive, graphics chip, and other parts where the console does not cost over $500.

AMD admits it can’t be “the cheaper solution,” will refocus on performance

Yesterday, at the AMD Financial Analyst Day event, the company finally decided that enough was enough: AMD will no longer be competing in a race to the bottom. "It's extraordinarily important to ensure that we have competitive, high-performance cores," said CEO Lisa Su. "We have reduced our low-end PC exposure. When you look at AMD's historical business, we were very, very heavily concentrated in consumer, low end PCs, that was actually our speciality. However, when you look at that market, there has been so much volatility, especially at the intersection between tablets and PCs and differentiation hasn't been there... very clearly, we are an x86 company. We have tremendous x86 heritage, and opportunity to lead in that area. We are absolutely going to invest in high-performance x86."

Read More

There is a chance that AMD may not survive as both a cheaper Intel x86 Alternative CPU or High Performance x86 company when mobile/ARM CPUs become cheaper, and faster where the speed difference of x86 and Mobile/ARM is not noticeable for most users. Intel will most likely continue to take more buyers away from AMD because most people trust Intel more than AMD, and more people are buying Apple Macs which use mostly Intel CPUs.

A lot of big tech companies like Blackberry, Kodak, and Motorola were once very popular, but lost a lot of its buyers to its competitors, so AMD maybe gone or nearly gone in the future when the next Playstation console is being designed by Sony.

Back