Paper Mario Comic - FINAL TOPIC

NintenDan, Bowser's punch is supposed to be powerful. I know that. But I think it's a little TOO powerful. 26 HP each hit if you mess up the action command? That's more than half of Mario's HP gone in one hit. Sounds a bit much. If Bowser uses the move three times in a row, whether you use Mushrooms or not Mario is FINISHED. I found it difficult to time the hammer defense since Bowser pauses for quite a while and during this you cannot hit him, and than suddenly lunges forward. You have to be quite precise with the action command to get it right, and you need to time it a bit early.

Also, the HP doesn't quite scroll all the way off the screen, the bottom of it sits at the very top. You may wanna fix that by either making it permanently visible or removing it from the screen completely.

Other than that, I think it's pretty good! Some sound effects and music would probably finish it off.
Thanks for the feedback! I wanted to get most of it done this weekend, with just a few things to tidy up, and this is the kind of stuff I was expecting. Better it get pointed out than not get pointed out at all. Oh, and yeah, I made his punch that powerful just so I could quickly test if I could die and forgot to reduce it, whoops.

With the punching and the flames, I can make the delays quicker. Right now I've got it so that the delays are actually random (from 0.2 to 1.2 seconds, I think. Well that's what it's supposed to be). That was just to make dodging harder, by I should be able to reduce it down so there's a 1 second maximum wait.
I think the punch should take 10-12 and be a little easier to dodge,the fireball should take 10 damage,and bowser's hp should be visible like mario's.Other than that,its really good.

I think you should fix bowser's punch attak so it takes 15-20 instead of 26,and not make the timing random.Bowser's HP should be visible too,like mario's.Other than that,Its really good.

oh,and PLEASE make Bowser Explode when you kill him!
smile.gif

Mario should do more damage than Bowser...
Well... the action commands should.
And sometimes Bowser doesn't even attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should fix bowser's punch attak so it takes 15-20 instead of 26,and not make the timing random.Bowser's HP should be visible too,like mario's.Other than that,Its really good.

smile.gif
Yeah, gotta fix up that punch. As for Bowser's HP, I'll set it as low priority, I have other things to do. For the random timing attacks, I'll make the delay shorter, but I'm still keeping it random, I like that element of surprise.

When Bowser doesn't attack, I think he's secretly gaining 15 HP.

Make teh head fall off when you die.
Fine, I'll make Bowser explode.

Here's a close-to-finished Mario Battle scene. Basically everything's done, just need to attach it to everything else:

Code:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/PaperMarioComic_Project_Battle10.swf

And here's a completely unfinished, but still neat, title scene I'm planning on using. I got bored and added some dodgy introductory text, which will probably change. It just loops, and like I said, ISN'T FINISHED, but the main stuff to look at is if it all looks pretty when the title, characters and button appear on screen.

Code:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/PaperMarioComic_Project_ScenesCS41.swf

smile.gif
Yeah, gotta fix up that punch. As for Bowser's HP, I'll set it as low priority, I have other things to do. For the random timing attacks, I'll make the delay shorter, but I'm still keeping it random, I like that element of surprise.

When Bowser doesn't attack, I think he's secretly gaining 15 HP.

Make teh head fall off when you die.
Fine, I'll make Bowser explode.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
biggrin.gif

I finished it and it was hilarious when bowser exploded XD
It's really coming along great,especially since youve never played a paper mario rpg before.I suggest adding more enemies,because its really fun to fight them.

I finished it and it was hilarious when bowser exploded XD
It's really coming along great,especially since youve never played a paper mario rpg before.I suggest adding more enemies,because its really fun to fight them.
Heh, well it's not going to entirely be an RPG, that's just one little section I thought would be nice to include. The other sections are going to be a quiz and some interesting little "dodge the spikes" game, where loads of spikes drop from the screen.

But yeah, the only Paper Mario game I've played is Super Paper Mario, so I suppose it's good if it's got a similar feel to it like the previous two Paper Mario games.

That was pretty funny watching Bowser explode. NintenDan, this battle was much more fun and didn't seem too hard, which is good, despite the fact Bowser's healing. I found that the buttons for the action commands also worked well, but I still can't time the darn jump right when attacking.

I actually listened to this whilst playing it, it fits quite well:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8HwCip73qU[/media]

That was pretty funny watching Bowser explode. NintenDan, this battle was much more fun and didn't seem too hard, which is good, despite the fact Bowser's healing. I found that the buttons for the action commands also worked well, but I still can't time the darn jump right when attacking.

I actually listened to this whilst playing it, it fits quite well:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8HwCip73qU[/media]
Heh, I'll actually be using the TTYD main battle theme for this scene if everything goes well. Funnily enough, I'm going to try use that music for another scene... *shifty eyes*

Glad you're liking it though!

Holy cheese! I beat em!

The timing for the fireball is as soon as you see it appear, and for the punch it's when you see him move after he charges.
He still does a heckuva lot of damage but the main thing is it keeps repeating Bowser's death anim... and there's a white line on the left of the screen... and the button could be done better and the text should be the PM text. With the intro... it's pretty dodge..

The timing for the fireball is as soon as you see it appear, and for the punch it's when you see him move after he charges.
He still does a heckuva lot of damage but the main thing is it keeps repeating Bowser's death anim... and there's a white line on the left of the screen... and the button could be done better and the text should be the PM text. With the intro... it's pretty dodge..
Death animation loops because it hasn't got anywhere to move to as of yet. High damage is there for testing, as per usual. White line, wouldn't have a clue why that's there but I'll check it out. The button was a rush job, but I can change it up whenever I feel like, but it won't be a high priority job, heh. The text is already in there, I just need to embed it.

As for the dodge intro, well I'm sure it'll look a bit better when there's sound to go along with it. I wanted to make something that was quick and just got to the point, no boring start up or whatever.

Well, like I've been saying all along, this would be completed fairly soon, and this is my final weekend of work. I've attached all the scenes into the big project file now (it's taking forever to save and export now, rofl). I just need to add proper "Game Over" and "You won!" screens and add in some music and I'm pretty much done. I can't upload a version with music just yet, for I'm dynamically loading the music. I'm going to use some of the free webspace I've got through my ISP and upload all the songs and the SWF there so that it will look much better than what it is looking as of recent (i.e. full screen when I use FileSmelt to upload the SWF). Not long now, peeps!

I am VERY proud to announce that all the coding and animating for the Paper Mario Flash project is FINISHED! All I need to do now is add sound and then I'm completely finished! I'll try and get it up and running for all of you to muck around with soon!

Cool. You can thank me later. (I was the guy cheering from the Sidelines) So how long?........

Sweetness. I can't wait!

Back