Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
The PlayStation 5 design comes in two forms including one dubbed the Digital Edition that does not appear to have a disc drive.

1ni927D.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely going for the one with the disk drive. I'm hoping for a black version but I very much doubt that they would release a black one at launch. And I'm not sure how long I will wait just for a different colour.

Yeah I prefer black as well...

You guy's can't see it, but my cringe is extreme right now. Though I'll wait for the pro version that will hopefully look better as well as get the disc version.

Design looks nice imo though.

The PS5 looks like a Wi-Fi networking router with curvy sides. I hope there is a Black version of the PS5, and it looks better.

I love it. The default look is definitely different to past PlayStation consoles and ultimately beautiful.

Saw fan mock-up pics:
aAhGsEs.jpg

TD97KTe.jpg

Latest Jim Ryan's comments on backwards compatibility:

The disc version will also obviously offer backwards compatibility with those old discs too.

We said that the PS5 has been designed to play PS4 games. We're going through the process with the publishers and developers testing that rather exhaustive library of over 4,000 games. We're happy with the progress that's been made.

Matt MacLaurin, vice president of UX Design at PlayStation, commented on the PS5's "bulkiness":

Thermals. This gen is little supercomputers. While the 7nm process delivers amazing heat performance for the power, the power is very extreme. This tech is still so fresh it throws a lot of heat so we need room to dissipate.

I would think the SSD would help keep the heat down.

I think a SSD would help keep the heat down. I think most hard drive don't make a lot of heat these days, so using a SSD may slightly keep the heat down.

Hard drive have big metal cases which may help cool the console a little like metal heatsinks which cool the CPU and video card when air blows onto the heatsink.

They just posted official horizontal view pic of the console:
9uO4iVQ.jpg

The horizontal view if the console looks less stable where the console may go upwards when someone presses on one of the left corners.

Back