PS5 Playstation 5's First Official Details

I wouldn't say a lack of interesting games really. It's just that the release dates are always awful so there's usually a period in the year where you get bored and just have to wait for the interesting games to come out.

Playstation 5 Devkit rumor confirmed by Codemasters senior artist Matthew Stott
PS5-Dev-Kit-Patent_08-21-19_001-600x396.jpg

Saw a pic of the devkit:
vNq0U37.jpg

Read Jim Ryan's comments on ps5 is easy to code:

"One thing that makes me particularly optimistic that what we're hearing from developers and publishers, is the ease in which they are able to get code running on PlayStation 5 is way beyond any experience they've had on any other PlayStation platform," he told GamesIndustry in a new interview. With PS4 already a big step in the right direction, it seems PS5 is an even better console to work with from a developer's point of view. Of course, this will benefit everyone in the long run; making the platform simpler to develop for will mean a better experience for studios, and potentially, better games for consumers.

"One thing that makes me particularly optimistic that what we're hearing from developers and publishers, is the ease in which they are able to get code running on PlayStation 5 is way beyond any experience they've had on any other PlayStation platform," he told GamesIndustry in a new interview. With PS4 already a big step in the right direction, it seems PS5 is an even better console to work with from a developer's point of view. Of course, this will benefit everyone in the long run; making the platform simpler to develop for will mean a better experience for studios, and potentially, better games for consumers.

good to know, hopefully.

I bet all the developers are excited about this news :grin:

Read some more Shuhei's comments, translated by Siliconera from Ryokutya2019:
  • Shuhei Yoshida: “The PlayStation 3 era was the toughest period in all of Sony Interactive Entertainment’s 25-years history. It really made the difficulties of game development stand out. The PlayStation 4 was made with that as a learned lesson.”
  • “You can’t focus on making games when the difficulty of developing on hardware becomes a hurdle of its own. Furthermore, we want hardware that makes it easy to make games so more time is spent on development instead. It was the same for PS4 but the PS5 takes it even further.”
  • “I’ve been hearing a lot from PlayStation 5 game developers that creating software on the hardware is easier than ever.

Read some more Shuhei's comments, translated by Siliconera from Ryokutya2019:
  • Shuhei Yoshida: “The PlayStation 3 era was the toughest period in all of Sony Interactive Entertainment’s 25-years history. It really made the difficulties of game development stand out. The PlayStation 4 was made with that as a learned lesson.”
  • “You can’t focus on making games when the difficulty of developing on hardware becomes a hurdle of its own. Furthermore, we want hardware that makes it easy to make games so more time is spent on development instead. It was the same for PS4 but the PS5 takes it even further.”
  • “I’ve been hearing a lot from PlayStation 5 game developers that creating software on the hardware is easier than ever.

Sony is lucky they made so much bank on PS2, it saved them during the hard PS3 days.

Just read Sony CFO's comment on the ps5 pricing, from VGC:

During Sony’s third quarter earnings call on Tuesday, senior EVP and CFO Totoki was asked how the company intends to achieve his stated aim of a “smooth transition” to the next console generation.

The questioner asked which factors Sony can control, such as marketing and development costs, and what the invisible elements are that make things tricky.

“First, we must absolutely control the labour cost, the personnel cost, it must be controlled,” Totoki said. “And the initial ramp up, how much can we prepare initially, we will work on the production and the sales and we will have to prepare the right volume as we launch this.

“What is not very clear or visible is because we are competing in the space, so it’s very difficult to discuss anything about the price at this point of time, and depending upon the price level, we may have to determine the promotion that we are going to deploy and how much costs we are prepared to pay.

“So it’s a question of balance,” Totoki continued, “and because it’s a balancing act it’s very difficult to say anything concrete at this point of time, but when I said smooth transition, we mean that we will definitely choose the optimal approach and that we will try to have the best balance so that we will be profitable in the life, during the life of this product.”

Back