froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Weighing in at 18 pounds and featuring TWO GTX 1080s, a 21" CURVED display, the Acer Predator 21 X is one monster of a laptop...

This looks like a great laptop for gaming, and doing intensive tasks like video editing, and creating computer games. The 21 inch curved monitor is nice, and the 2 GTX1080 video cards are great!

I like that the RAM, storage drive , and fans are removovable.

This laptop is expensive. But, if a user does not plan on getting a new laptop in over 10 years, or need a the fastest laptop for work, this laptop could be the best choice for them instead of buying slower laptop from Apple, Dell, HP, etc which sell laptops which are not as fast.

At that point it should be a tower, its killing the point of being a laptop.

At that point it should be a tower, its killing the point of being a laptop.

I agree this laptop would be a tower, or a desktop computer which is an all-in-one, or one of those horizontal standing desktops where you put the LCD monitor on top of the desktop case.

But, this laptop maybe easier to push around with a small cart or table with wheels, and less likely to tip over like a tower where if someone bumps into a tower it can tip over.

Even so, I think that laptop would have a heating issue.

In the video after 3 minutes has pass on the video, the video reviewer said the laptop runs cool enough, and the temperature is amazingly low for a high-end laptop and gaming videocard. The laptop does not heat up to high enough temperatures which causes heating issues when playing games in Higher video quality settings.

A USB Laptop cooler pad, or buying a standalone desktop fan may help cool this laptop if the laptop's internal cooling system is not good enough for cooling the laptop because you live somewhere like the dessert which is very hot.

If you are spending $9000 on a laptop, it would be a good idea to spend money on a good air conditioner or cooling your room if your room is very hot, so your laptop has cool room air to cool itself better during hotter days in the summer. It would also be good to buy a room air filter to filter out your room's dust from the air, so less dust gets sucked into the laptop's cooling system.

This looks amazing and I'd accept it as a gift, but at this point I'd rather build a PC then buy this for 9000$.

I really like the specs of this laptop, but I guess it won't be worth it for me at a price of $9000. I could probably just build a custom desktop, max out the specs as much as I can, and I won't even have to end up spending nearly as much as what I would've spent on that laptop. The only good side I see is the portability, assuming that you won't mind carrying a heavy laptop in your bag as you travel, as it's better than carrying a whole desktop indeed.

How's the cooling system though? My laptop is tiny as hell but still heats up like an active volcano an hour into playing. Also, laptop should be about mobility and being light enough to be carried casually through commutes and travels. If you want a laptop this big and willing to pay $9000 for it, might as well get a PC. You'll get a bigger monitor and a more powerful rig at half the price.

I really like the specs of this laptop, but I guess it won't be worth it for me at a price of $9000. I could probably just build a custom desktop, max out the specs as much as I can, and I won't even have to end up spending nearly as much as what I would've spent on that laptop. The only good side I see is the portability, assuming that you won't mind carrying a heavy laptop in your bag as you travel, as it's better than carrying a whole desktop indeed.
Agreed. At the end of the day, it's just a laptop with ridiculously expensive parts. Might as well get a PC to get your money's worth. The laptop is good and all, but one wrong move and that thing would drop and break easily. The heavier it is, the higher the risk of damage, and when you damage one part you'll have to replace them immediately or the machine won't run as efficiently. PCs won't have that problem, and if you're really looking for a mobile PC, stick to the ones that don't cost $9000.

Last edited by a moderator:
How's the cooling system though? My laptop is tiny as hell but still heats up like an active volcano an hour into playing. Also, laptop should be about mobility and being light enough to be carried casually through commutes and travels. If you want a laptop this big and willing to pay $9000 for it, might as well get a PC. You'll get a bigger monitor and a more powerful rig at half the price.

The video reviewer in this video said the cooling is very good. I think users who paid $9000 for a laptop would expect the cooling to be as good as a possible.

I agree this laptop is not portable, and a PC would be a better deal.

The video reviewer in this video said the cooling is very good. I think users who paid $9000 for a laptop would expect the cooling to be as good as a possible.

I agree this laptop is not portable, and a PC would be a better deal.
Well, there's always that option of being able to brag to people you own a $9000 laptop, so there's that. It's like owning an expensive race car and driving it to work. Highly impractical but you can brag to people who see it that you can afford one.

This is definitely more of a bragging rights machine than anything. I mean, it completely eliminates the entire portability factor that you get laptops for in the first place. With its general size and weight, paired with those extra batteries it needs to power up, its far from practical. I saw the carrying case for it and it looks like you're carrying a .50 caliber sniper rifle in that thing. Or some sort of bomb!

That said, it is without a doubt one of the most impressive feats of engineering I have seen in a long time. Sticking virtually all the parts of a full-fledged multi-thousand dollar gaming rig into what can still be considered a "laptop" is pretty amazing. The curved 21" display, the mechanical keyboard and that mousepad feature all come together to make one formidable beast.

There's no doubt that you would win any spec-war with this thing. Your friends simply wouldn't be able to compete. Unless were fighting over thinness or weight that is. That price, though! I think its justified considering the very niche target market this thing is aimed at.

There's no doubt that you would win any spec-war with this thing. Your friends simply wouldn't be able to compete. Unless were fighting over thinness or weight that is. That price, though! I think its justified considering the very niche target market this thing is aimed at.

For $9000+ you sure as hell should win every spec-war. A 1080 GTX Titan costs around $600, so that's $8400 to spend on the rest of the unit. Seeing as the graphics card is the most expensive part of a CPU, you'll have to find a $6000 monitor just to even come close to the price that laptop is worth.

And here I am, sitting with my measly little 19-inch Asus ROG. So, um, if anyone would like I can private message my address if you want to buy me this beast. Otherwise, I don't care how much money I have, I would never spend $9000 on a laptop. No matter how good the specifications are, they can only be better in a desktop for that amount of cash. If by some chance you manage to spend all $9000 on the PC alone, you've got yourself something that'd grab even NASA's attention.

While I like the specs that is packed inside that laptop, to be honest I am not all that interested in owning one. Too heavy and more chances for something to go wrong.

While I like the specs that is packed inside that laptop, to be honest I am not all that interested in owning one. Too heavy and more chances for something to go wrong.

Hopefully, the case on the laptop is good enough to protect it from drops to the floor. I would expect a $9000 laptop to have a nice shock resistant case to protect the laptop's screen, motherboard, hard drive, video card, and other parts from drops to the floor.

Hopefully, the case on the laptop is good enough to protect it from drops to the floor. I would expect a $9000 laptop to have a nice shock resistant case to protect the laptop's screen, motherboard, hard drive, video card, and other parts from drops to the floor.
I'm more worried about replacing hardware that may fail. Yes ram, harddrive and maybe CPU are easy to come by the rest of the hardware could be parts that is not so easy to get. With a desktop computer I can swap everything out.

The phrase "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" comes to mind. I don't care how tough the exterior is, when that thing with its weight and size falls down even from a table, you just know something's gonna break. And if it took $9000 just to buy that, how much do you think will it take to fix it, even if it's just a small damage? And on that subject, if you're willing to buy a $9000 laptop, would you be okay with it having a massive crack on the side? I mean you already purchased it, might as well keep it pristine.

The phrase "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" comes to mind. I don't care how tough the exterior is, when that thing with its weight and size falls down even from a table, you just know something's gonna break. And if it took $9000 just to buy that, how much do you think will it take to fix it, even if it's just a small damage? And on that subject, if you're willing to buy a $9000 laptop, would you be okay with it having a massive crack on the side? I mean you already purchased it, might as well keep it pristine.

I think people who buy this $9000 laptop most likely will mainly use it as an all-in-one desktop, and they may possibly use a separate USB or wireless gaming keyboard and mouse which cost hundreds of dollars.

If I owned a $9000 laptop, I would lock it down to a table with some sort of clamping system, or custom shelf with a steel door to lock it up. I don't want a home robber to easily steal it during a home robbery.

I think people who buy this $9000 laptop most likely will mainly use it as an all-in-one desktop, and they may possibly use a separate USB or wireless gaming keyboard and mouse which cost hundreds of dollars.

If I owned a $9000 laptop, I would lock it down to a table with some sort of clamping system, or custom shelf with a steel door to lock it up. I don't want a home robber to easily steal it during a home robbery.
Yeah, if I was a robber that thing would get my attention pretty quickly. Although how would you even sell such a monstrosity without getting too much attention? In fact, I don't think you can even steal that thing; it would look really suspicious when someone is trying to sneak a ridiculously large laptop casually on the street. Either way, it's a gamble when you get it because a LOT of things can happen to it that you can't control.

Back