Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

Valve has officially announced their own handheld gaming PC called the Steam Deck, which will essentially function like a souped-up Switch that gives players access to their digital library of games on Steam.

As revealed in a report by IGN, the Steam Deck has a 7-inch, 60hz LCD screen with 1280x800 resolution. The Valve Steam Deck boasts an 8-thread CPU, 8 RDNA 2 compute units for the GPU, and 16 GBs of LPDDR5 RAM. A Switch-like dock will let Steam Deck users connect their handheld console to "external displays," but it will be sold separately. Overall, the Valve Steam Deck is significantly more powerful than a Nintendo Switch, though that boost in power comes with a much higher asking price.

When the Valve Steam Deck launches this holiday season three models will be available for consumers to choose from. This includes the 64 GB model for $399, the 256 GB model for $529, and the 512 GB model for $649. Valve's goal is to make it so players can take their entire Steam library on the go.

No release date has been given for it.

I'm glad this is finally a thing. Idk why, but I just don't like playing games on my computer. Probably because I like watching videos while grinding and moving through slow areas. So this would motivate me to play the games in my Steam library.

I'm glad this is finally a thing. Idk why, but I just don't like playing games on my computer. Probably because I like watching videos while grinding and moving through slow areas. So this would motivate me to play the games in my Steam library.
A second monitor is good for that.

Steam Deck looks like a fun way to play games when I am away from my computer. It would be nice if the screen was slightly bigger.

It's actually quite cool and something I may get at some point if the price ever drops.
At the moment, I don't really "need" it so I'll stick to just using GeForce Now to play PC games.

I feel that the Steam Deck may not be fast enough to play games in the future if the game is more hardware intensive, and need a faster video chip, CPU, and more RAM.

I feel that the Steam Deck may not be fast enough to play games in the future if the game is more hardware intensive, and need a faster video chip, CPU, and more RAM.
Definitely but I guess the freedom to do what you want with the device helps quite a bit. It will be useful in the future to use with streaming services like Xbox Cloud Gaming, PS Now, GeForce Now etc.

Heard about it and looks great and clean may this leads more income to value. Sadly as always not available in my region

Some nice news on it:

In an IGN interview with Valve designers and engineers who worked on the Steam Deck, the company claims that it is fully aware of the ongoing kerfuffle regarding joystick drift and that it is trying to avoid that situation. To do this, Valve explained that it has done a “ton of testing on reliability” of various Steam Deck parts and it believes customers will be “super happy” with how the device performs.

“ I think that it’s going to be a great buy,” explained hardware engineer Yazan Aldehayyat in the IGN interview. “I mean, obviously every part will fail at some point, but we think people will be very satisfied and happy with this.”

Also hot damn, pre-order ebay sales are up already:

Quite interested to see how this develops. It’s something I’d be quite interested in purchasing for portable gaming across a massive catalogue of games.

It will be interesting to see how the drifting issue plays out considering they've now admitted it was something they were aware of and worked on.
Would be nice if Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo could do the same.

It will be interesting to see how the drifting issue plays out considering they've now admitted it was something they were aware of and worked on.
Would be nice if Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo could do the same.

They need to take an old controller, open it up, copy it to the new designs and bam, issue fixed. I promise you, if any of my stuff would have drift, it was the N64 and that thing was a brick.

Reactions: Ash
Saw Ign's interview video:

It will be interesting to see what kind of people go for something like this. I doubt many PC gamers want to use a device like this for PC games when they have become accustomed to a keyboard and mouse.

Back