Video Games...

Sketch

Awards
Credits
Hey guys. I was recently assigned to write an argumentative essay on why video games are bad for you. What I need from you guys is to help me out by debating the issue. I'll give you certain points to work off of, and we'll take it from there. I did get flan's permission to create this topic, but the moment that flaming, spamming, or anything else that breaks the rules comes up, it will be locked. Also, please have evidence to back your claims. Now, here are the different points to debate.
  • How do video games impact one's creativity/imagination?
  • Are video games beneficial to ones physical health?
  • Is violence directly related to video games?
  • Addiction and video games.
  • Are video games to blame for a lack of social interaction?

It greatly helps it. It gives people ideas to express their mind. Whether it is making fanfiction, thinking of your own ways to make the game your own, making levels ect. It's a great way to express your inner imagination.
Meh. Too much is bad, especially depending on certain games. But a regular amount is ok.
For some yes, for most 'sane' people yes.
It's more of the kids, not the games, or else 50X more kids would be addicted.
In a way yes. It prevents you from meeting new people face to face if you stay inside. However, a balanced amount of playtime is fine.

I personally play a lot of open-ended games like Gmod and Minecraft. Those really express people's artistic skills.
Well I don't think they're too bad for it. I'm in pretty good shape even though I mostly play video games.
No, if anything it lets you release anger.
Yes, some people can get addicted, but can't you get addicted to anything?
Not at all. I've interacted with a lot of people via video games. A big percent aren't even from the same country as me. If I would've gone out and met people in person I would have a very sheltered view of foreign culture.

I do believe he said he's been assigned to write why video games are BAD for you.

If so, I read a article that game developers develop games to purposely be addictive. Ones that people pay for monthly and the like such as WoW.

For example item drop systems in games are based off of slot machines. Each time you kill a enemy per say random loot is dropped.

The other thing is the drive to get something. Because video games do not require a lot of effort physically, and the rewards in the game, while virtual, are still designed to appeal to players and a reward is a reward to your brain, one can spend countless hours if given the time trying to get a virtual item. Often getting angry when someone breaks their concentration. Things such as one time or special events in video games can leave players playing for a whole day or weeks just to make sure they don't miss it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do believe he said he's been assigned to write why video games are BAD for you.

If so, I read a article that game developers develop games to purposely be addictive. Ones that people pay for monthly and the like such as WoW.

For example item drop systems in games are based off of slot machines. Each time you kill a enemy per say random loot is dropped.

The other thing is the drive to get something. Because video games do not require a lot of effort physically, and the rewards in the game, while virtual, are still designed to appeal to players and a reward is a reward to your brain, one can spend countless hours if given the time trying to get a virtual item. Often getting angry when someone breaks their concentration. Things such as one time or special events in video games can leave players playing for a whole day or weeks just to make sure they don't miss it.

Can you get me a link to the source you're talking about? I can definitely use that argument in my paper.

Oh dear... Plumbing the depths of psuedo-science for sensationalist stories...
What on Earth possessed you to agree to right this paper? You should have outright refused and asked for a different subject. (In fact asking you to argue one particular side sounds like poor teaching to me. You should have been allowed to choose which side you wanted to argue).
But since you're lumbered with it now, bear in mind that a good argumentative essay must put forth both sides of the arguement, even if ultimately you come down against.

Oh dear... Plumbing the depths of psuedo-science for sensationalist stories...
What on Earth possessed you to agree to right this paper? You should have outright refused and asked for a different subject. (In fact asking you to argue one particular side sounds like poor teaching to me. You should have been allowed to choose which side you wanted to argue).
But since you're lumbered with it now, bear in mind that a good argumentative essay must put forth both sides of the arguement, even if ultimately you come down against.

Actually, I chose to do this topic. Some points I agree with, others I don't. Last semester, I wrote an essay on why they're good for you. So don't take it too seriously. Anyways, back to the debates.

Forgive me, but it seems that the basis of your argument is flawed, Sketch. Trying to argue that videogames are bad for you is like...is like...purporting that our planet is flat and square. You cannot debate facts, and we all know that games are simply, in every way imaginable, a gift to mankind.

For one, videogames are a product of ones imagination to begin with. Games use peoples creativity to provide challenges and allow them to solve puzzles, figure things out, solve tasks, and do whatever they want in an already imagined world.

It strengthens it by providing new ideas and inspires people to think outside the box.
Mental health. Puzzle solving and quick thinking as well as predictions and reactions are greatly improved. Keeping in mind the brain is like a muscle. You strengthen it by testing it and improve it by thinking and adding new ideas. Games do this, a lot.
Games have violence. The world has violence. Video games aren't adding anything new that children wouldn't witness anywhere else. Video games can't MAKE anyone do anything, it's all up to the person to rationalize and think about what they're doing. And if it's a child who doesn't necessarily know the seriousness of it, then where the hell are the parents?
Bitch pl0x. I could stop whenever I want. But I'm not going to, because they're fun, and have no reason to stop. Hurp durp stop doing your hobbies to prove you can.
Aww hall naw. Multiplayer is huge in games. I talk and play games with my friends all the time. It helps a lot because it connects people from around the world to talk about a subject or just indulge in fun together. (Xbox Live, PSN, Gaming websites, this forum, Steam). Game's have done WONDERS for social interaction. Better than phones in my honest opinion (not more convenient though) as it allows players to more directly interact.

Not that it helps your argument much, but I read an article a few years back saying that playing violent video games has caused a decrease in violence and crime in many areas. I just wish I could remember where I read it. I think it was in a science magazine or something along those lines. Doesen't help your argument, but it is worth noting I think.

I read an article yesterday that said some random study found out that people who played violent games like Mortal Kombat felt less empathy for the other player than in another game of tennis. Don't take my word for it, but yeah, maybe you could look at that point too.

And for the love of God, nobody tell me that I'm wrong. I'm just saying what I saw people, don't shoot the pigeon messenger. Give the pigeon some bread crumbs, to be honest.

Guys, he has to prove this topic. He can't go the other direction so im not sure why people are pointing out all the good things in gaming.

As much as I agree, it helps to the point of absolutely.....
not helping : p

Back