[Walkthrough Discussion]Mario Kart 7; Cheats, Unlockables and More

• I got the time to do this..so here's some important 3 Star rank tips, and a Coin Collecting guide.
3 Star rank tips
Luckily, Mario Kart 7 is not so strict on earning a 3 Star rank like Mario Kart DS was..

Here are some quick tips:
1: Be a good driver! If you are having problems with a track, practice in Time Trials!

2: This is a big one: Master Drifting! Drifting gives you boosts depending on how tight of a drift you make.
3: For better controls, do not use the Gyro Controls (First person driving.)
4: You must always get 1st place on every track. (Try not to have last lap, last second finishes. You might get a 2 Star rank instead.)
5: You may pick any Character and Kart combination you want.
6: It is okay to fall off the stage, or hit a few on-course obstacles, but keep it minimal. (Yeah, go ahead and do that Maka Wuhu glitch..)
7: You do not need to have collected 10 Coins per race.
8: Check the bottom screen often, as it displays which characters are nearby, and displays Items.
9: Back up! The CPUs will never go in reverse. If you see a CPU has a Blue Shell, and another CPU is nearby, you can break and go in reverse, and let the nearby CPU get hit by the Blue Shell instead!
10: When in 1st place, always have a Shell or Banana Peels behind your Kart, to prevent most hits.

Tips about the CPUs:
1: CPUs in first place will always throw their Red Shells behind them.
2: The CPUs do take alternate routes, and sometimes even use a Mushroom to go through the grass!
3: Bombs away!: The CPUs can be crazy good with Items, be careful when you are gliding..you might get hit by a Bob-omb, or even a Banana Peel!
4-1: Item Rhythm...yes, the CPUs do have an Item pattern. They tend to try and and cause those trademark "Item rape" moments from Mario Kart Wii. They tend to not use Items such as Lightning, Blue Shell, or Bloopers right away. Example: One Blue Shell is used, then after a couple of seconds, Lightning is used. Then Blooper. Least when you see this happening on the bottom screen, you'll know what to expect.
5: The CPU Mii: On rare occasions, you may see this racer. This CPU will always be set to go after you only. It seems that this CPU is set to have specific Items based on their Rank...(A Banana Blitzer ranked Mii will ALWAYS get Bananas, even in 8th place.)

Quick Coin collecting guide:
Wa ha ha! Want to be a greedy Coin collector, and unlock all those goodies? If you want to unlock every part asides from the Gold Tires, it is actually really easy, and be done even without Wifi. It just takes a lot of time and patience.

This is the easiest, most laid-back way:
In every race, you can only have up to 10 Coins. So, for very GP you complete, the maximum you can get is 40 (Unless you happen to get hit by an Item..). All you have to do is constantly go through the 150cc/Mirror Grand Prix, and choose Mushroom Cup or Shell Cup.

Here's how it goes:
1: Have your 3DS set to a Screen Brightness of 1, and turn the Power-Saving mode "On". Set your 3DS' volume all the way up. (Or if you want, use earphones to ignore most of the music and sounds.)
2: Collect 10 Coins. ()
3: Park your Kart some place where you think you are least likely to get hit by an Item.
4: Wait and listen for the "FINISH!" sound effect. It is high pitch, and not too hard to miss.
5: If hit by an Item, recollect the Coins you have lost before the race is over.
6: Repeat 3 more times.

..And that's all there is to it! The CPUs will finish the race without you. However, they are noticeably slower than usual since they are waiting for you. Even though you are in last each race, you will always start off with 7 Coins in the next race. But there is one little issue that will make the races slower: a Mii. These racers are literally waiting for you more so than the regular CPUs, and they tend to take a lot longer than a regular CPU. So if you ever see a Mii in the GP you are in, you can get of the GP and redo it again.

There is a faster option though..and that's to race repeatedly each Cup. If you were to play like that for an hour, you would earn about 200 Coins, depending whether or not you got hit by an Item. So if you were to play 5 hours: around 1000 Coins. However, you will always start off each race with 0 or so Coins depending on your placing, the CPUs will be hitting you with Items..and playing nonstop may hurt after a while. Keep that in mind.

Coin loss ratio:
10 - 5: -3
4 -3: -2
2 - 1: -1

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen any Miis, isn't that possibly caused by StreetPass? As in, you need to StreetPass people for their Mii to show up?

• I suppose so then. I didn't know whether or not to mention about Miis appearing from Wifi because I still don't have it. But you confirmed that those Miis will only appear if you Streetpassed with someone who has Mario Kart 7.

• I hope that post helps people out..

Thanks for those shortcuts, surprisingly i didn't know some of them lol

Are you in first when a blue/spiny shell is the reason for your loss? So u want to learn how yo dodge this shell? Well it's your lucky day! First aquire any kind of mushroom! Save this for later. If you are in first than no other item can match the power of this item! Second when I blue shell is coming your way get ready to use the mushroom! Right when it rears back to hit u is the time to use your speed use your mushroom! If you did this right you will have dodged this once dreaded item! Another easier way is to use the star when the blu shell first starts circling u but is not rearing up! _Using this trick u could win maybe any match whether it be online , local multiplayer. Or maybe even a singleplayer match

This would go under the tips section in Mk7

*Merges*

lulz, my first merge

For people wondering (I checked and did some math and nothing's in this topic...):

If you can play through all eight Cups in one go and finish EVERY race with 10 Coins, you'll get a total of 320. To get 500 Coins, play eight Cups then another five, collecting ten Coins each race. You'll end up with a total of 520 (since it only takes 4 and a half Cups). This is useful info for when you get to the part where you only unlock something every 500 Coins.

The last thing to unlock that isn't a Gold Kart part is often the Beast Glider, which is unlocked at 5000 Coins. Remember there's still another 5000 to go before you get a Gold Kart part.

A good tactic to beating the expert staff ghosts is to watch their racing line, so play against them to view it, before taking them on for real. If you struggle try matching their Kart parts and character, and see if that helps. Then, adjust accordingly.

The normal staff ghosts can be beaten easily, it's not that much of a challenge and you don't need to pick a good selection of Kart parts.

Try to take turns as CLOSE to the edge as possible, but do not hit or drive over that edge because you will slow down. If you see a striped curve (like in Toad Circuit) DRIVE ON IT!

Check the Touchscreen every so often. Helps when checking for Blue Shells or other Items that could make a serious dent in your position.

The Tanooki Leaf IS useful, if it's the only thing you've got and a Red Shell is fired at you. Also comes in handy for thwacking banana peels out of the way.

A good place to leave a banana is in the middle of a ramp, right on the top. Opponents spin straight off the edge. Do this on a Glider jump to REALLY mess things up.

Powerslide!! Goes without saying, right? Powerslide around every bend, and squeeze in as many as possible! You can pull off at least two red powerslides on most slightly longer then usual turns!

Even in the air, you are NOT SAFE! Always have a Banana or Shell behind you if your in first to fend off pesky Red Shells, no matter where you are!

Remember that every Coin collected goes towards a running total: So grab whatever you can. I don't actually worry about the speed boost they give you too much, I just grab them to get the Kart parts.

Collected Coins in Time Trials DO NOT go towards your running total. I checked my profile thing before and after a Time Trial (which I collected 10 Coins on) and the number didn't change.

If you get a choice between air and water, you SHOULD try to take air, it's actually faster.

That Glider can be used in all sorts of ways, including cutting some serious corners. Try gliding off the final ramp on Alpine Pass and straight over starting grid and the lowest pipe for example.

A good strategy on Rainbow Road is to perform a glide instead of taking a jump at the end of the rotating tube thing. You can EASILY glide through all the star rings and get a some serious boost, not to mention avoiding the dangerous track below.

On Bowser's Castle you can either drive THROUGH the rotating log or OVER it. Driving through takes longer, but by driving on top you might get smacked by the propellor-like things at the end of the log and lose time anyway.

If you think someone's tailing you to slipstream you, let 'em have it! They are almost directly behind you and will have to swerve quite a bit to avoid anything thrown at them!

I wanted to add another tip that many don't know and I recently found out. If you Streetpass someone with a part you don't have and you beat them in their Grand Prix, you win one of their parts for you to use. So in a sense.. if someone has the golden kart/glider/wheels and you beat them in their Grand Prix (in the streetpass menu) it will say that you unlocked one of the new parts. Beat them two more times and you get the other two parts. Thought this would help a lot of people.

Edit: Another tip that many don't know. If you can't stand the Tanooki tail like I do, if you use it right when someone sends you a red/green shell and you just let the tail hang (DON'T HIT THE SHELL BACK!) The shell would hit the tail and remove it for you - stopping you from having to wait however long it is for it to disappear AND you don't get hit by the shell. Think of it like Super Mario 3D Land. You get the Tanooki tail, you take a hit, you revert to regular Mario. Same applies to the kart.

I knew the tail thing, although I have to admit I never considered just taking a hit to get rid of it.

And the StreetPass thing is cool, although pretty useless if you don't live near many people with a 3DS.

Also, here's a guide that may help:

http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintendoarticles/mario-kart-7-unlockables-and-tips/

http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintendo3dsguides/mario-kart-7-track-and-shortcut-guide/

I knew the tail thing, although I have to admit I never considered just taking a hit to get rid of it.

And the StreetPass thing is cool, although pretty useless if you don't live near many people with a 3DS.

Also, here's a guide that may help:

http://nintendo3dsda...ables-and-tips/

http://nintendo3dsda...shortcut-guide/

Yeah, its the gut instinct to wanna not get hit lol.
I forgot to add though, you have to consider the tail like a banana peel so if you get hit by a shell from the front or sides, you will get hit.

If someone disconnects from you, your 3DS dies from the battery, or you disconnect, you will loose 20 VR points. Thats pretty stupid.

I am playing mario cart game and it is my one of the most favorite games. This is really useful and interesting information about Mario kart 7 and this will make my gaming experience more better.

Back