Why is everyone so afraid of Coronavirus?

Claraviolet

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Unlock full profile styling
It's not deadly despite all the rumors

And with proper hygiene, it's going to be just fine.

So, why is everyone so afraid of it?

Well first and foremost nobody and I mean nobody wants to get sick and have to endure their life while feeling like hell.

Second, 3,567 people have died to date, which is a rather large number and would make people fearful.

Yes a few people have died due to it...
But way more people die per year to the standard flu and don't even give it consideration. For an interesting tidbit, in 2012-2012 there were 56,000 deaths to the flu in the US alone. It was a record high year however. And since then has been lower. But even still that gives you an idea just how prevalent and common this is.

The change here is that the media is very focused on the corona virus and are propping it up as big news. In essence they are stoking people's fears and profiting off them. This has the side effect that more people than ever are worried about it. They cancel events "to be safe" which works the public up and gets people more afraid.

Yes a few people have died due to it...
But way more people die per year to the standard flu and don't even give it consideration. For an interesting tidbit, in 2012-2012 there were 56,000 deaths to the flu in the US alone. It was a record high year however. And since then has been lower. But even still that gives you an idea just how prevalent and common this is.

The change here is that the media is very focused on the corona virus and are propping it up as big news. In essence they are stoking people's fears and profiting off them. This has the side effect that more people than ever are worried about it. They cancel events "to be safe" which works the public up and gets people more afraid.

I thought I read there was more corona deaths this year compared to the flu?

"Fear is wisdom in the face of danger. It is nothing to be ashamed of." -- Sherlock Holmes

People don't want to get sick, or getting killed by the Coronavirus even if it is rare.

More people these days mainly read and watch their news on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and social networks, e-mail newsletters, spam, and messaging apps like WhatsApp, iMessage, and Skype.

Some celebrities, people who want attention, and government officials maybe using the Coronavirus to get more popular by talking about the virus being more harmful then it actual is.

Unfortunately, a lot of online and offline news sources may more likely post fake or sensationalist news to earn more money from advertisements when users visit coronavirus news posts. Some health websites which post about the Coronavirus may also earn money by selling face masks, soap, and hand sanitizer on their website.

People don't want to get sick, or getting killed by the Coronavirus even if it is rare.

More people these days mainly read and watch their news on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and social networks, e-mail newsletters, spam, and messaging apps like WhatsApp, iMessage, and Skype.

Some celebrities, people who want attention, and government officials maybe using the Coronavirus to get more popular by talking about the virus being more harmful then it actual is.

Unfortunately, a lot of online and offline news sources may more likely post fake or sensationalist news to earn more money from advertisements when users visit coronavirus news posts. Some health websites which post about the Coronavirus may also earn money by selling face masks, soap, and hand sanitizer on their website.
Yeah exactly
In most of the deaths, coronavirus isn't the only culprit as far as I know but it makes things worse for the victim

Yeah, most people who died were either old, and/or suffering from another respiratory illness.
That's my point.
Still people are afraid and everyone is talking about how deadly this new virus is

Yeah exactly
In most of the deaths, coronavirus isn't the only culprit as far as I know but it makes things worse for the victim

I feel the people with other serious illnesses and the coronavirus would most likely want to live a little longer, and don't want to be killed by the Coronavirus, and may rather die at a latter time.

That's my point.
Still people are afraid and everyone is talking about how deadly this new virus is
It’s because the media likes sensationalizing things. If you mention the death toll, but hide the number of infected and recovered people, and hide it’s the worldwide deaths, you can make it sound like a bigger problem.

It’s because the media likes sensationalizing things. If you mention the death toll, but hide the number of infected and recovered people, and hide it’s the worldwide deaths, you can make it sound like a bigger problem.

Normally the media overplaying things is a bad thing, but I think in this case it is somewhat doing good, after all they are focusing on something that is highly spreadable and is actually killing people. Even if there is fear/panic mixed it, it is still something that is urging caution.

Normally the media overplaying things is a bad thing, but I think in this case it is somewhat doing good, after all they are focusing on something that is highly spreadable and is actually killing people. Even if there is fear/panic mixed it, it is still something that is urging caution.
I personally don’t believe in using scare tactics, regardless if it’s for a good cause or not. I don’t like when people use shady means to push an agenda, whether or not you agree with the overall message.

I personally don’t believe in using scare tactics, regardless if it’s for a good cause or not. I don’t like when people use shady means to push an agenda, whether or not you agree with the overall message.
I agree with that as well
Scaring people wouldn't serve any purpose whatsoever and that's what I believe

I feel the media telling sick people to stay home can be good since there would be fewer sick people who spread their sickness to others, and sick people will at least wear a mask to prevent spreading their sickness to their family and neighbours.

Buying extra toilet paper, food, face masks, dish soap and hand sanitizers is a good idea as well when the news has stories about your city, state, or country gets locked down because of the Coronavirus.

I feel the media telling sick people to stay home can be good since there would be fewer sick people who spread their sickness to others, and sick people will at least wear a mask to prevent spreading their sickness to their family and neighbours.

Buying extra toilet paper, food, face masks, dish soap and hand sanitizers is a good idea as well when the news has stories about your city, state, or country gets locked down because of the Coronavirus.
I do agree with that
Having people the flexibility to work at home would be great.

I'm not afraid of dying from it, I just have a weak immune system so I get sick easily and I'd just rather not get super sick. Especially working retail, if I got it without knowing it, I could give it to elderly people who are more likely to die from it.

It was insane tonight at my staples, so many online orders (to pick up in store) for what remain of our cleaning supplies (one person ordered 30 bottles of hand soap) and half of our dusty TP stock went flying out the door. Madness, pure madness.

I do agree with that
Having people the flexibility to work at home would be great.

I read a lot of tech companies like Microsoft, Amazon, etc are letting people work at home, or stay home or go to the hospital if they are feeling sick.

I read a lot of tech companies like Microsoft, Amazon, etc are letting people work at home, or stay home or go to the hospital if they are feeling sick.
Yeah and that's a good move.
I really hope others implement the same as well to prevent the spread of the virus.

Back