Would you buy a computer without a logo or brand name on it?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I will buy a computer without any logo or brand name on it. Many custom built gaming computers have no brands on the case.

But, I think there are people who will not buy a computer without a brand or logo on it because having no brands can attract unwanted attention from people who want to know who makes the computer. Some more materialistic people may make fun of users of laptop with no brand like being bullied for wearing cheaper shoes.

Except that computers are not clothes.
Unbranded clothes can either have a reputation of cheap clothes, or something your grandma made for you.

Unbranded computers on the other hand are always known for having idiotic high performance, and people will always respect you for building your own PC (or they'll find you insane for not just buying one that's already built, who knows?).
It's only a bit more problematic with laptops due to the lack of buyable laptop parts, and practically impossible with smartphones unless you live in Shenzhen, China.

I agree it is harder to build your own laptop or smartphone. But, I think it maybe possible to build your own laptop and Android smartphone by using sites like eBay, Aliexpress, or use the local Craigslist for Shenzhen, China.

You maybe able to make a smartphone with a mini-pc like a Raspberry Pi, but it won't look very nice unless you have a 3D printer to print out a case to neatly hold all your parts.

Yep, if you really think about it all brand names (hp, dell, asus, ect) pretty much use the same components, but placed differently with their bloatware loaded onto it.

Yep, if you really think about it all brand names (hp, dell, asus, ect) pretty much use the same components, but placed differently with their bloatware loaded onto it.

I seen many computers which uses Asus branded motherboards, and video cards since Asus motherboards are sometimes cheaper than the official Intel motherboard, and motherboards made by other brands like MSI.

I think users can sometimes save money, and get a longer warranty by buying a Custom PC built by a local computer store, and asking for the warranty cards, manuals and receipts for the parts used to built the PC. Some parts like motherboards, cooling fans, and power supplies have 3 to 5 year warranties. Many RAM makers have lifetime warranties for some of their RAM models.

I seen many computers which uses Asus branded motherboards, and video cards since Asus motherboards are sometimes cheaper than the official Intel motherboard, and motherboards made by other brands like MSI.

I think users can sometimes save money, and get a longer warranty by buying a Custom PC built by a local computer store, and asking for the warranty cards, manuals and receipts for the parts used to built the PC. Some parts like motherboards, cooling fans, and power supplies have 3 to 5 year warranties. Many RAM makers have lifetime warranties for some of their RAM models.

usually those warranties don't cover wear and tear usage, you have to get something from a company like Square Trade to protect replacement parts.

usually those warranties don't cover wear and tear usage, you have to get something from a company like Square Trade to protect replacement parts.

Square Trade can be useful for computer monitors, more expensive video cards, SSDs and CPUs which can cost over $100 dollars.

I think for low cost computer parts which cost under $100, Square Trade maybe less worth it. Some warranties may replace broken computer parts if it is proven it is not wear and tear, or it is cheaper to replace defective parts compared to hiring a worker to take phone calls, and reply to many e-mails, and examine a lot of computer parts for damage from wear and tear which is sometimes hard to prove for parts like RAM and SSD unless it rusted or melted.

It will probably cheaper for the maker honor the warranty to exchange your older stick of broken 1GB RAM module and other cheap computer part than to hire someone to examine if it is wear and tear damage, or a defective part.

I think it is now easier to buy better quality brandless computers as long as they have a lot of good reviews on online store websites, and review sites.

Sometimes, you can contact the custom PC seller and ask for the brands of the individual parts like motherboard, RAM, CPU, power supply, and case, so you can search online to see if the parts are high quality or poor quality, and ask if it is possible to use a higher quality part like RAM, motherboard, CPU, or power supply.

I think it is now easier to buy better quality brandless computers as long as they have a lot of good reviews on online store websites, and review sites.

Sometimes, you can contact the custom PC seller and ask for the brands of the individual parts like motherboard, RAM, CPU, power supply, and case, so you can search online to see if the parts are high quality or poor quality, and ask if it is possible to use a higher quality part like RAM, motherboard, CPU, or power supply.

you can go to a website called HP parts and from there look for reasonable price parts from other sites.

you can go to a website called HP parts and from there look for reasonable price parts from other sites.

Sounds like a useful site for people looking for reasonable price parts.

Except that HP isn't really a reliable brand.
Could differ in America, but over here it gets self destructed more than any other brand available.

I think HP computers are slightly more reliable than Dell in North America, but both brands can be unreliable.

Some people mainly buy HP PCs because they cost less money than Microsoft, and Apple branded computers. They need a new computer, but can just afford the cheapest $200 HP Windows laptop at a local store like Bestbuy.

A $200 HP Windows laptop would mean the laptop itself costs only $145 (Windows OEM licenses are usually around $55 per machine sold).
The $145 isn't just the parts alone, stuff like assembly, employment, import/export, sales marge for both HP and the store, and tax are all included in that price.
Subtract all of that, and you can see how worthless such parts have become.

Either that, or HP is making losses for each laptop sold, which I'd rather doubt.

A $200 HP Windows laptop would mean the laptop itself costs only $145 (Windows OEM licenses are usually around $55 per machine sold).
The $145 isn't just the parts alone, stuff like assembly, employment, import/export, sales marge for both HP and the store, and tax are all included in that price.
Subtract all of that, and you can see how worthless such parts have become.

Either that, or HP is making losses for each laptop sold, which I'd rather doubt.

I think HP does not make much money from selling cheap laptops, and maybe selling cheap laptops at a loss. But, selling a cheap laptop at a loss is cheaper than buying a lot of TV and magazine advertisements to promote the HP PC brand. A lot of cheap HP laptops have a brightly colored case like bright blue or pink, big HP brand logo on the lid and screen bezel, HP logo as the wallpaper image on the Windows desktop, so these cheap laptops can be used to advertise the HP brand when people use them on public transportation, restaurants, schools, and libraries where a lot of people can see HP users using a HP laptop in public.

HP also makes money from bundling McAfee or Norton Antivirus, Microsoft Office 365, and other trial software. If people sign-up for a software subscription from an antivirus or MS Office 365, HP may make a percentage of the sales.

HP still earn money from printers, photo copiers, printer ink and toner for their printer. A lot of HP PCs are used to connect to a printer to print photos and documents. If the user also owns a HP printer, they can spend hundreds of dollars a year on HP ink if they print out hundreds of picture files, or many pages of text. HP also sells different type of printer paper like photo quality glossy paper for printing out photos, blank office document paper, and matte/non-glossy photo paper.

HP can use these cheap laptops to send out a lot of HP ads to their buyers for their other products and services like printers, printer ink, repairs, etc since people use their e-mail address to register their HP PC with HP's website. The HP system utility programs for installing hardware firmware updates may have a HP messaging and chat program built-in to make it easier to call a HP worker who's job is to do tech support, and sell HP products like extended warranties, printers, PCs, and repair services.

I saw post from PC users that the official repair costs from brands like HP for replacing a part like a motherboard can be very expensive.

Funny, thats how Dell is here in America.

I think Dell and HP sometimes use the same cheap computer parts brands like cheaper power supply, RAM, hard drives, etc which are not designed to be very reliable when used for high CPU usage tasks like gaming, and video editing.

But, cheap PC parts in cheaper Dell and HP PC can last 5 years or longer if the users mainly use their cheap computer for basic low CPU and RAM usage tasks like homework, office work, listening to music, and printing out documents, and they take good care of their computer's cooling fans and vacuum out dust from the case.

Honestly, I won't. Even if they are custom built....I am no gamer..I don't need a custom made laptop but I like getting a branded laptop for more security I suppose.

Back