N3DS Community League Challenger Thread

Thank you Hellfire for challenging me. Certainly kept me guessing. I'm just glad to finally get a match request for this challenge. I do hope you return for a rematch another time. That Taillow made me accommodate way too much. And that Lilligant man. Who would have thought a Grass type would start smacking my poison types around.

your scolipede is overpowered >.< not only does it have insane speed which is unmatchable by anything i have trained, but it can sweep almost my entire team >.<

tyranitar, lilligant, charizard, dragonite, metagross. it can take em all down without a problem.

damn your scolipede, leave it at home.

This is why you bring Choice Scarf, priority moves, Wall Pokemon, or even Stealth Rocks to help prevent a single Pokemon from devastating your entire team.

i'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to finish the challenge with my current team, although it was fun to test the strength of all of you that i challenged, especially spoony and omen, who were a good challenge.

if i were to come back with a different team, would i be able to continue the challenge from where i left off, or would i have to start over?

also, one thing i don't like is how all of you, as gym leaders, can see the challenger's pokemon and have time to prepare for the battle and choose which pokemon to bring. how about you post your teams here too? maybe in the original post? that way, we, as challengers can see what we are up against, and we have time to formulate strategies like you.

maybe, we can post up to 10 pokemon each, which will be the pokemon we can choose to bring for a challenge, and the same can apply for the leaders too. of course, 10 wouldn't be required to battle, but would just be there to switch things up.

either way, i'm going to be training up some new pokemon, with some new strategies that i think could do well in this challenge, so i probably won't be challenging again anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some gym leaders do have their teams posted, but others don't. I can't remember if I posted mine, but I never change them, even though I have a level 100 of pretty much all ghost Pokemon now. And if we let trainers pick 10 Pokemon then they can just anti-team any gym as long as they pick multi-type Pokemon. After that, there is no challenge.

Currently, I don't think we would let people change their teams around though changing what items Pokemon are holding or their attacks can REALLY help out. There are many awards on this site you can no longer get, or only get under very specific conditions, so I think the rules we have are fair in how you have a good fighting chance with whatever you've posted here. The ONLY reason I can think of to allow team changing would be if we add a new/different type Gym, as that changes the challenge itself.

As always, if another gym leader thinks otherwise, I am open to expanding the rules to accommodate; I am simply stating my opinion here.

Some gym leaders do have their teams posted, but others don't. I can't remember if I posted mine, but I never change them, even though I have a level 100 of pretty much all ghost Pokemon now. And if we let trainers pick 10 Pokemon then they can just anti-team any gym as long as they pick multi-type Pokemon. After that, there is no challenge.

Currently, I don't think we would let people change their teams around though changing what items Pokemon are holding or their attacks can REALLY help out. There are many awards on this site you can no longer get, or only get under very specific conditions, so I think the rules we have are fair in how you have a good fighting chance with whatever you've posted here. The ONLY reason I can think of to allow team changing would be if we add a new/different type Gym, as that changes the challenge itself.

As always, if another gym leader thinks otherwise, I am open to expanding the rules to accommodate; I am simply stating my opinion here.

Like you, my team is not likely to change in the slightest. As fun as poison types are, they bear the same issues as they always have. Ground and Psychic attacks are a shut down and the additional type only (more often than not at least) leads to more weaknesses.

However, I don't oppose full team disclosure from Gym Leaders. I agree that it's not fair for us to expect challenger teams to be disclosed and sort of chuckle to the side as our challengers have no real insight to what we are packing. Disclosing the pokemon move sets and such I'd be more opposed to. There has to be some art of "what am I going to face". Granted, one could also argue that as mono typing gyms... we are already at a significant disadvantage since the greatest array of match ups aren't always at our disposal. There is only so much you can pull off with Ghost, Poison and Steel types as an example. Thus, I wouldn't seek to discredit opposition to gym leader team confidentiality. You pretty much know what poison types are going to do, the only art of a challenge I provide myself is the "whoa, didn't think you would use THAT" surprise.

I agree with Omen. I've had my team posted in my signature since this whole thing started, so I obviously am for letting people know what I'm working with. I also think that moveset posting is a bit much...I'm working with bug types...I'll be honest, until gen 5 I really didn't care for the type as a whole, and even now they're far from my favorite. I chose the type as a way to challenge myself to improve. However, seeing as bugs have quite the host of weaknesses, I have to have SOME surprises regarding movesets. There're a couple on my team I'm truly proud of moveset wise, a few I quite like, and one I'd probably switch out if I could. However, since it appears that the general consensus is to keep the teams as they are, I am perfectly content to keep the team as is. I'll likely have to switch some items around before the next challenge, but that's about it.

for spoony's point of "allowing 10 pokemon per challenger would allow anti-typing with multi-typed pokemon", this is ABSOLUTELY not true. my metagross is proof of this. i used it as the lead against omen, because it would resist all poison attacks and be super effective with STAB to boot. It got demolished. 1 hit and it was down. let's face it, you all have a way of covering your weaknesses, so using just 1 or maybe 2 anti-typed pokemon won't work very well, depending on the pokemon used.. now if the entire team was anti-typed, then it would work, but would mean the team could likely be destroyed by another leader. although in hindsight, 10 IS a bit much. maybe 8? that way, anti-typing would be somewhat more limited, with a single slot for each one, with possible multi-types too. this would mean that while it would give a slight advantage to the challenger over pokemon matchups, it wouldn't decide the match.

for omen's thought about the gym pokemon disclosure, it would just be the pokemon used, not movesets. that just takes away some of the fun of predicting what's going to be used, what strategies to use and so on. as for the mono-typing disadvantage; it's a small one. it's not the type of pokemon you're using that matters, it's WHICH pokemon you're using, and with WHICH moves you've given those pokemon. again, you demolishing me 3 times straight is a good example of this. i had several advantageous type matchups against you, especially metagross, but i still got wiped out, usually about 4-0.

and lastly, you didn't answer my question, will i have to restart my challenge from scratch if i decide to use a new team? i assume i will, but I'm asking just to be sure.

I don't exactly think monotyping is a "small" disadvantage. Some types have little variety. Water seems so diverse until you realize most of them are subpar. Psychic and Dragon have minimal dual type variety. You could literally choice band ice shard with thick fat mamoswine to win vs. Dragon types. Most of the variety comes from unSTABed moves that don't always work that well. Scolipede is an example. It has rock and ground attacks, but a "meh" attack stat. Most of the time you get more from a not very effective Megahorn. Facing a team with Metagross, Alakazam and Terrakion picked simply because all work to shut down my team is a very likely situation some one could do to counter team me. It really only takes 3 team slots to appropriately counter team a monotype team.

You should post your team before you make battle requests Dragon. That way rules are covered and business as usual.

On another note, I will need to temporarily close the door to gym challenges. I'm in the process of moving and won't have internet for a week or so. That said, I will notify you all when I'm able to accommodate challenge requests again.

EDIT: I just noticed the attached picture. Nvm my earlier statement Dragon XD

Okay mow I am ready.I just change one pokemon in my team but I am ready. I will tell you my team.
Here is my team
.daramanitan
.altaria
.hydreigon
.serperior
.rotom
.regice
I also have an question.
.altaria has the move draco metero which reduce the users sp.atk stat.u said that it can't increase the pokemon ability but can i still use the move.its REDUCE the sp atk so what should i do can i still use it please.

Okay mow I am ready.I just change one pokemon in my team but I am ready. I will tell you my team.
Here is my team
.daramanitan
.altaria
.hydreigon
.serperior
.drapion
.regice
I also have an question.
.altaria has the move draco metero which reduce the users sp.atk stat.u said that it can't increase the pokemon ability but can i still use the move.its REDUCE the sp atk so what should i do can i still use it please.

You can use Draco Meteor. You can really use any boosting moves as long as it doesn't increase evasion (like double team) or decrease your opponents accuracy (like flash and sand attack). Also, specific abilities like Sand Veil and Moody are generally banned because they can boost evasion.

Okay mow I am ready.I just change one pokemon in my team but I am ready. I will tell you my team.Here is my team.daramanitan.altaria.hydreigon.serperior.drapion.regiceI also have an question..altaria has the move draco metero which reduce the users sp.atk stat.u said that it can't increase the pokemon ability but can i still use the move.its REDUCE the sp atk so what should i do can i still use it please.

You can use Draco Meteor. You can really use any boosting moves as long as it doesn't increase evasion (like double team) or decrease your opponents accuracy (like flash and sand attack). Also, specific abilities like Sand Veil and Moody are generally banned because they can boost evasion.cool also I change one more pokemon

My gym is currently open and accepting challenges. Keep in mind I am on eastern coast time in America. That said, I can't take requests after 10PM EDT on Wednesday and Thursday night or any earlier than 7AM Thursday or Friday. I am also unable to fit any requests on Saturday and Sunday due to my work schedule.

Please PM me if you wish to challenge.

I just remembered that I had requested a fight a long time ago....

oh well better late then never I guess ^^

My Team is:

Sandslash

Hydregion

Arkanine

Lilligant

Metagross

Ninetales

I also only have Black 1, I do not have Black 2 yet.... will I have to wait to get a copy of Black 2 in order to challenge you guys? If so it will be no problem as I plan on buying a copy soon enough anyways.

It shouldn't matter. As far as I am aware battles work between all Gen V games.

I've finally completed my shiny team and I'd like to challenge the League.
My team is: Bravery, Garchomp, Charizard, Cloyster, Sceptile, Breloom. Odd team yes, but I enjoy it :)

I've finally completed my shiny team and I'd like to challenge the League.
My team is: Bravery, Garchomp, Charizard, Cloyster, Sceptile, Breloom. Odd team yes, but I enjoy it :)

Challenges must be submitted to leader PMs. We only really use this thread to verify team construction. Truth be told, I'm not even sure how many of us are even all that active.

Back