PlayStation Final Fantasy 16 News

Rpgfan criticized the QTEs, read their latest hands on preview:

One worrying aspect of the combat is the obsession the game seems to have for cinematic flourishes in combat; against boss enemies, occasionally they’ll pull off a unique animation, where you’ll be tasked with either dodging or attacking during a QTE - it breaks up the pace of combat considerably, and doubly so during Eikon Battles.

Sounds like reviews are coming in as good, I'll play it for sure next year.
no reviews yet still previews based on the latest hands on the first 3 hours of the game.

Square Enix invited members of the press to a final hands-on gameplay session with Final Fantasy XVI ahead of its June 22 launch on PlayStation 5, this time from the start of the game up until about three hours into the story. This is the most we have seen of Final Fantasy XVI so far, and covers the game’s opening hours, Hideaway, The Greatwood, and Three Reeds Field.

At first Yoshi-P was quite firm on no DLC now he changes his stance on DLC lol

"We have no idea if people are going to fall in love with Valisthea and fall in love with Clive’s story and want to see more of the world and more of its characters. So while we always want to consider DLC or spinoffs or those types of things where you can learn more about the game, first we want to see if Valisthea and Clive are really things players around the world want to see more of and then make that decision."

At first Yoshi-P was quite firm on no DLC now he changes his stance on DLC lol

"We have no idea if people are going to fall in love with Valisthea and fall in love with Clive’s story and want to see more of the world and more of its characters. So while we always want to consider DLC or spinoffs or those types of things where you can learn more about the game, first we want to see if Valisthea and Clive are really things players around the world want to see more of and then make that decision."

Clearly FF 15's ghost haunts this game.

If there is going to be one, hopefully it's a fully controllable and customizable party members dlc or at least allows you to give orders to the other party members too and not just Torgal.

Read more stuff:

* Because they have crystals for magic, a lot of things we do through tech they just don't because the characters don't see the point.
* The Fallen seem to act as a warning about advancing too far and the Fallen were basically Icarus.
* They tried to avoid doing lore info dumps in cutscenes and dialogue so that characters talked naturally to each other.
* A lot of lore is found in notes you can find, on signs, talking to NPCs, etc. The Loremaster takes everything you find and gathers it up.
* Clive has a writing desk in his quarters where he can receive letters which are usually follow ups to what happened after you finished side quests.
* Part of the item descriptions having lore in them was inspired by Magic the Gathering cards.

Read more stuff:

* Because they have crystals for magic, a lot of things we do through tech they just don't because the characters don't see the point.
* The Fallen seem to act as a warning about advancing too far and the Fallen were basically Icarus.
* They tried to avoid doing lore info dumps in cutscenes and dialogue so that characters talked naturally to each other.
* A lot of lore is found in notes you can find, on signs, talking to NPCs, etc. The Loremaster takes everything you find and gathers it up.
* Clive has a writing desk in his quarters where he can receive letters which are usually follow ups to what happened after you finished side quests.
* Part of the item descriptions having lore in them was inspired by Magic the Gathering cards.

whats the point of the first line?

Read VGC interview:

So after four hours with the game, we got to sit down with Ben, who plays the game’s protagonist Clive Rosfield, and later Susannah Fielding, who plays Jill Warrick to chat about the process of recording the game, the burden of keeping it a secret, and what it’s like for Ben, a Final Fantasy superfan, to take on the mantle of the lead role in his favourite series.

BS: I didn’t get the ‘congratulations, you’re in Final Fantasy’ call. I turned up, 5:30 on a Friday, absolutely exhausted to play a really small role in an unnamed fantasy RPG game. I got stopped halfway through and they said, ‘Ben can you read these lines’ so I just sight-read the lines for a character called Clint Richmond. The lines really resonated with me and they were really emotional, so I left the room and got a call four days later. I was filming Midsummer Murders when my agent called and said “You’ve got the lead in a video game.”

It wasn’t until a few days later when I came in to read for my younger self that they gave me the full script and told me what the game was and my mind just… I couldn’t tell anyone, so I found myself just pacing around my flat randomly touching stuff, ‘what do I do?’, I screamed into a pillow, and I jumped up and down. That’s been four years.

What was it like seeing your character for the first time?

BS
: I wish it was a transformative experience, but I think I just reacted to how anyone who was dissociating with that they were doing (laughing). Now, as other people are playing it, I’m getting a more visceral feeling.

Before I’ve been able to compartmentalize it as “Oh this is just some silly thing I’ve been working on with four of my mates,” and now people are playing it and I’m getting all the thirst tweets of people going mad for him (laughs).

Do you think if you knew it was Final Fantasy you were auditioning for that it would have affected the performance you gave?

BS
: It’s so time and place. I was tired, I was so emotionally open, which this role really requires. For whatever reason I was able to let myself go to that place, I just went for it. What is there to lose, you know? It was that “what is there to lose,” that changed my life.

I was talking to Morgan Rushton, who works on the localization team, and early on they said, “How’s it going,” I turned to him and said, “This is the biggest thing I’ll ever do,” to which Morgan said “Yeah but what about something like Star Wars,” so I turned to him and said, “this is my Star Wars.”

[At this point in the interview, we were joined by Susannah Fielding who plays Jill Warrick, the game’s female lead.]

We were curious about how the process of recording for the game transitioned once the lockdowns of 2020 began and being able to travel to a studio became impossible?

SF
: We started before COVID and we started doing quite a lot together, then everything got changed and we had to learn on the job in terms of how to keep going.

BS: I was always so happy when you (Susannah) had already gone in and recorded all your lines because I thought, “Yeah! You’ve already done all the work, I just have to react to you (laughing)”.

SF: Yeah, so it was hard when we had to split, we haven’t actually all been allowed together it’s been dribs and drabs. It was quite spaced out across four years. You never know when you sign up for a job like this. You don’t know how many expansion packs or things like that you’ll come back for. I’ve done other jobs where I think, “This will be a three-week job” and it ends up being like five years.

What was the recording process like during the Covid era? Was there a strange disconnect between the recording line for one of the biggest games in the world from your bedroom?

SF:
I did do some from home when things were very locked down, but we were allowed in the studio ourselves since it’s like this sealed chamber.

BS: There was all this expensive kit that they couldn’t send to us, and we had tons of priority stuff that we had to record like all of our facial captures, so we had to get into a studio for that, it was tricky. They wouldn’t send it out to us (laughing) we had to have a separate operator to look after it. There aren’t classes at drama school about how you act with one of these things.

SF: It’s very much patting your head and rubbing your belly.

After four years of working on the game, how does it feel that it’ll be in the hands of millions of fans in a matter of weeks?

SF
: It’s just really lovely to see people here today finally playing it. There’s a buzz because I’ve been doing it in a room on my own for the last four years, so I can’t wait to see more of it, I haven’t seen all of myself when I was going in to record there was always half the scene missing so it takes you out of it.

BS: There’s just a strange feeling of not really knowing what to expect when it comes out because it’s been ours for so long, but it’s so exciting.

Yoshi-P said this on PC port now:

"In regards to the development of the PC port, we plan to slowly work on it after release of FFXVI for the PS5"

FF 16 is currently at #68 best seller on amazon's video games section, that's really low, wonder if it will sell better as it's approaching release day in 3 weeks:

Back