PlayStation Final Fantasy 16 News

Well FF7 Remake part II is planned for next winter release, so same year as FF 16.

So many AAA games next year lol

Not true actually, next winter does stretch into 2024 and Square Enix... can't hold a proper release date if it meant enjoying Tifa's plot :p

Not true actually, next winter does stretch into 2024 and Square Enix... can't hold a proper release date if it meant enjoying Tifa's plot :p
2023 IS the start of the "Next Winter" so both statements are correct. FF 7 Remake Part II is releasing in late 2023 to early 2024 release window. And thus they have risked of releasing 2 big FF titles in one year all for Tifa's PLOT lol.

Last edited:
2023 IS the start of the "Next Winter" so both statements are correct. FF 7 Remake Part II is releasing in late 2023 to early 2024 release window. And thus they have risked of releasing 2 big FF titles in one year all for Tifa's PLOT lol.

Going off the track record thus far, I'm betting on 2024.

New info just dropped:

New key information includes:

• Protagonist Clive has an arsenal of powerful attacks and abilities based off traditional Final Fantasy summons, which can be cycled through in real-time, enabling powerful combination attacks. After Clive claims an Eikon’s (summon’s) power, he will be able to unlock its abilities in an “ability tree” through points earned in battle.
  • There will be times where the player controls an Eikon in real-time, battling other Eikons. Each Eikon vs. Eikon battle is unique. One may be reminiscent of a 3D shooter, while another may be more like a pro wrestling match, while a third may transform the entire arena into a battle field. Each will have slight differences in user interface as well.
  • Clive will be accompanied by one or more companions for most of his journey, who will participate in battle, as well as banter with Clive. These party members will be AI-controlled.
  • The wolf-pup from the first trailer is named Torgal. As for whether Torgal will eventually play a role in combat, Yoshida said to “wait and see.”
  • Creative Business Unit III chose a medieval fantasy style theme for Final Fantasy XVI becasue much of its core members, including Yoshida, simply enjoyed that style the most.
  • The game uses an “independent area-based game design that can give players a better feel of a truly ‘global’ scale,” and is not open-world.
  • The game will be “a complete experience” at launch, and there are currently no plans for other tertiary content.
  • Players will follow the life of Clive through three stages: his teens, his 20s, and his 30s.
  • Final Fantasy XVI is currently fully playable from start to finish, but voice-overs in multiple languages still need to be recorded, and as it is a very action-oriented game, much play testing is required to fine-tune difficulty, put the final touches on cutscenes, and for full-scale debugging.
  • A third trailer is planned for release this fall, which will concentrate more on the world, lore, and storyline.

IGN interview:

The trailer shed more light on what to expect from the still-mysterious Final Fantasy 16, but it left fans with plenty of other questions. How will Eikons feature in the combat? And will Clive work with a party – a staple going back to the series' original NES days – or will he be flying solo?

Speaking with IGN in a new interview, producer Naoki Yoshida provided some more insight into how combat, summons and other mechanics will work in Final Fantasy 16, in the process confirming that it will once again feature party mechanics in one form or another.

"We didn't want to overwhelm users in our newest trailer, so we focused solely on Clive's battles. That said, for most of his journey, Clive will be accompanied by one or more companions. These companions will participate in battle, as well as trade banter with Clive. That said, the party members will be AI-driven so as to allow players to focus solely on controlling Clive," Yoshida explains.

Remember the pup from Final Fantasy 16's very first trailer? Naoki Yoshida revealed his name while teasing that he may have a much bigger role to play in the gameplay.

"Well, let's just say he’s more wolf than dog—and his name is 'Torgal,'" Yoshida told IGN. "As for him being a party member, you'll just have to wait and see. We'll have more info on parties soon."

Final Fantasy 16 won't be following in the footsteps of its predecessor and won't be offering a true open world. Instead, it will divide up its regions into more contained areas while still taking inspiration from other triple-A games, Yoshida said.

"To bring a story that feels like it spans an entire globe and beyond, we decided to avoid an open world design that limits us to a single open world space, and instead focus on an independent area-based game design that can give players a better feel of a truly "global” scale," he explains.

From Famitsu interview on command and turn-based stuff:

――I would love to hear the reason for your decision on commands.

Yoshida: I'm a generation that grew up with command and turn-based RPGs. So I think I know how interesting and immersive it is. On the other hand, for the past 10 years or so, I've come to see quite a few opinions that "I can't understand the feeling of selecting commands and fighting on video games." This opinion is still increasing, especially among younger generation users and users who do not usually play RPGs. From game consoles several generations ago, all character expressions can now be done in real time.

Actions such as "pull the trigger and the character shoots a gun" and "press the button and the character swings the sword" can be expressed without going through commands. It became commonplace for gamers younger than me who were crazy about such games. As a result, it seems that it leads to the statement that even though it is already in battle, I do not understand the meaning of choosing a command such as "Battle" and making the trouble of deciding the action. This is not a good / bad story, but a big difference depending on the generation and taste. And again, there is a big difference between being turn-based and the command selection formula, which are easy to equate, but it's a different story.

It is true that RPGs started with tabletop RPGs in the olden days, and I think they were invented by replacing the exchange of words in tabletops with commands in video games. As I said, I think I know the fun of command-based RPGs, and I still want to make them, but when I think about the sales that are expected of "FF16" and the impact that I have to give. He said that if the development team got lost and the system became half-finished, and as a result, it would be remade many times, it would be okay to eliminate it.

It's the same as forgoing the adoption of the open world earlier, and if you have a good idea, you can challenge it, but somehow, if you feel responsible and "I feel like you should have a command", you can do without it. When. From now on, I think there is a great possibility that the next "FF" will become a command again or become an open world. However, at this point, if we, the Third Development Business Headquarters, make it, it seems that "FF16" will be like this.

The Eikon summon battles sounds like they will be fun, can't believe they will switch it up with each one.
Indeed it's cool that we can control/play the "Kaiju" battle in real time gameplay. Though I wonder on the price that a dominant will have to pay in order to revert back to human form after the "kaiju" form battle that Yoshi-P mentioned . And In the trailer before, Ifrit loses an arm, getting cut by Benedikta in garuda form, does this mean if Ifrit reverts to human form, presumably MC Clive, Clive will only have one functional arm? I hope not. I don't want to play a one handed MC.

Latest Yoshi-P famitsu interview translated by VGC contributor:

“When I played the first Final Fantasy, I thought ‘this is a movie-like gaming experience’,” Yoshida explained (as translated for VGC by contributor Robert Sephazon).

“The production, the dialogue timing, the drama, the sound—they all combined to create the greatest gaming experience possible. Once a Chocobo or Moogle was included, I thought it was already a Final Fantasy experience. That game experience must be felt in Final Fantasy XVI as well.

“Additionally, it is necessary to understand the overall outline of the game design by taking into account the strengths of the team itself. When thinking about it, I thought, ‘I believe an open world would not fit for what we are planning now.'”

Listing the main aims for the project, Yoshida said: “I want a story of a hero who saves the world, because this is Final Fantasy. I want a summon to go wild and destroy the map. I want to release this game as soon as possible. I cannot release this game in parts.

“When considering these four main points, I believe it is practically impossible to ask for everything. If we had a development period of about 15 years, we may have had the opportunity of challenging ourselves with an open world [smiles]. After all, it’s almost impossible in terms of time and cost to create a global story within an open world.

He added: “I thought that the development team would be worried about this. Delivering what we believe is the best story, in an experience that blends together games and movies, does not require an open world.

Back